On energy bombs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I'd just like to report that I've just now downloaded the latest version (SVN2981) of Trunk, and, (if I'm reading the changelog correctly) it appears that Ahruman has now made restoration of the e-bomb a matter of a simple equipment.plist change, much as Cmd. Cheyd suggested.

If I'm correct, it will therefore be possible for anyone who wants the e-bomb available to have it via a simple edit, and creating an oxp to activate the feature would be a trivial exercise...

Can any of the dev team confirm or correct my understanding of this?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Confirm Diziet Sma's comment. The current entry in equipment.plist looks like this:

Code: Select all

(
		7, 9000, "Energy Bomb",
		"EQ_ENERGY_BOMB",
		"A one-shot super-weapon capable of destroying all small craft within range.",
		{                           // RemoveMe
			strict_mode_only = true; // RemoveMe
		}                           // RemoveMe
	),
To reinsert the bomb in the game it is sufficient to remove the lines marked with RemoveMe.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Awesome! :D

So now all you guys can stop with the bitchin'n'moanin' already.. :mrgreen:
another_commander wrote:
To reinsert the bomb in the game it is sufficient to remove the lines marked with RemoveMe.
I imagine changing it to "strict_mode_only = false;" would have the same effect...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Diziet Sma wrote:
another_commander wrote:
I imagine changing it to "strict_mode_only = false;" would have the same effect...
Yup, that works as well.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Diziet Sma wrote:
So now all you guys can stop with the bitchin'n'moanin' already.. :mrgreen:
Bad Dizzy, baad Dizzy!! :mrgreen:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

You know, given that this isn't a democracy, and we're not customers, I have to say the willingness of the dev team not only to do real, actual work for no material gain, but to do real, actual work that they don't necessarily believe is particularly worthwhile just to keep people they've never met happy, is nothing short of saintly. Seriously, people have had cathedrals built in their names for doing less.

You are all, collectively and individually, good, fine, smart, talented and no doubt handsome people, and I applaud you all. :D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
You know, given that this isn't a democracy, and we're not customers, I have to say the willingness of the dev team not only to do real, actual work for no material gain, but to do real, actual work that they don't necessarily believe is particularly worthwhile just to keep people they've never met happy, is nothing short of saintly. Seriously, people have had cathedrals built in their names for doing less.

You are all, collectively and individually, good, fine, smart, talented and no doubt handsome people, and I applaud you all. :D
I concur with the brain in a bottle! Well said D!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ditto...
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Disembodied wrote:

Indeedy. I'm sorry if I came across as unreasonably mouthy. I'm going to go and redesign a ship for someone as pennance.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ClymAngus wrote:
... unreasonably mouthy ...
Oh I don't think so. By internet standards this whole thread is up there with a quiet debate in the Athenaeum ... ;)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

another_commander wrote:
Confirm Diziet Sma's comment. The current entry in equipment.plist looks like this:

Code: Select all

(
		7, 9000, "Energy Bomb",
		"EQ_ENERGY_BOMB",
		"A one-shot super-weapon capable of destroying all small craft within range.",
		{                           // RemoveMe
			strict_mode_only = true; // RemoveMe
		}                           // RemoveMe
	),
Thankyou!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Very Cool. Thanks, Devs!
:D
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Disembodied wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
... unreasonably mouthy ...
Oh I don't think so. By internet standards this whole thread is up there with a quiet debate in the Athenaeum ... ;)
But still I've been doing nice things to the Dragon, it's about time I finished it.
The Athenaeum? Ha ha ha! Quite the name dropper! Maybe some day.

To be honest anywhere that has a stipulation of door policy that uses the words "jedward" and "shot on sight" in the same sentence, gets my vote.
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

Hmm mixed feelings here, whilst Im glad to see the option is still going to be there I hope its easy enough for old elite \ new oolite players to find if the next version is their first!

Philasophically Im against the idea entirely, even though it will have zero impact on my game play - I dont use the things, but they are a central part of the Elite "world" to my mind.

___Longwinded unnecesary expansion on the above____

It a traditional part of the ship build for me. I always equip a ship with an energy bomb, its an essential part the equipment list of a well equipped ship, straight out of "the dark wheel" - the Elite bible for me. I never the use the things, but an iron ass isnt an iron ass without an energy bomb for me. I like to "tick" the options box's when the cash is available :lol: Its like having all my missile pods full, I dont use them but its just not complete without them.

I have to say I dont think Ive EVER (either oolite or elite) used one in a game that Ive later saved. But then I dont use q-bombs or missiles, or picking things off from 20km. But I dont believe taking out 25 year old features represents good game design either. To me more choice of play style is better, its what "sandbox" is all about.

I would object to removing energy bombs as much as I would side laser ports or missiles, I may not use them but to me they are a part and parcel of the elite universe.

I would object even more to docking computers being removed just because some people see them as reducing skill levels, I can dock manually as well as anyone, but I love the option to save my gaming time.

I came to Oolite for "Elite" with more modern graphics and options. Its a shame to see a machete being taken to originally valid gameplay options, although at least a bandaid is now being offered. I guess it comes down to if you are an "Elite" or "oolite" fan.

For me oolite is elite reincarnated and expanded with the core ideas being "Sacred" and the expansions and additions being "gravy" (which for the most part Im delighted with) Im all for additional options, but Ive never been a fan of enhancing a game by removing options.

In the original elite I played (Einstein - but same as spectrum) an Energy bomb was just not financially viable - youd never pick up enough cargo to justify their cost, and I dont come across insurmountable odds. Im a pirate at heart - even if a legal pirate preying on the other pirates :D To me the most profitable goods to sell are those you get for free, missiles and energy bombs mean you pay for your spoils.

Perhaps thats as good a reason as any for NPC's not to use them.

Perhaps pirates (most likelly to attack you) dont use Energy Bombs because amongst pirates they are considered a badge of weakness, to own one is to say you think you may be out gunned. It also eats into your profits badly if you use them. Remember Alex and Elyssia discussing missile use and credit costs.

Perhaps Police dont use them because of ethical considerations - chances of killing innocents, navy dont use them regularly for fear of friendly fire. Bounty Hunters and Assassins may well be paid enough to justify their use and perhaps have a different macho code perhaps flashing their wealth and power around. And innocent traders may struggle to afford them, but still a very likelly customer for a "escape from the pirates" bomb.

Perhaps if the biggest issue was we can have them npcs cant, there can be an OXP to give innocent traders the chance to possess them, adding a little extra spice to the life of those who seek to prey on the innocent :D and evening the odds for the innocent traders being preyed upon by unfair numbers of pirate npcs!

Perhaps the Energy bomb can be "toned down" to a degree or balanced in some way for non strict play, keeping its place in the game as part of The Dark Wheel cannon.

I have to say I enjoy the Quirium cascade mine gameplay \ fiction, particularly when they are dropped against you :lol:, hence it got written into my own elite \ oolite fiction. Perhaps if this decision had been made in early days of oolite the energy bomb could have been replaced by the q-bombs effects when moving from strict to normal play. But now the Q-bomb has grown a life of its own, and it feels "wrong" to take away core gameplay options because some people dont want to use them.

To me its a mini Star Wars Galaxies NGE, gameplay balance triumphing over individual choice. I dont worship at the alter of either balance or difficulty. To me "fun" comes into it, and in this case established cannon.

I do think theres some substantial fun for many players in creating "da big boom" although I dont know how an energy bomb works in oolite - Ive never used one that I can remember of :D, I know on the spectrum there was a very satisfying kerzzaaap noise and the screen flashed blue etc, very satisfying bit of mass destruction :D. Great for the rampage mode, when you shoot on the station to draw out the vipers etc. It might never be a long term piece of game play but it sure as heck was FUN. Just like doing a drive by on the tionisla grave yard its a "fun" option.

I appreciate the work the dev team do, I apreciate its "their" decision and I appreciate that at least the option is being put in to keep it. But on my Elite history grounds (the sole reason I play oolite) I object to it being removed and having to be put back in manually...

I logged in to write a bit more of my story but ended up writing this essay instead :roll: :lol:
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Wholeheartedly agree! Thank you to the devs, both for this individual change, and the overall work you guys do. It IS appreciated!

And like others have said - I hope I wasn't out of line at any point.