Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Energy Bomb Poll

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Should energy bombs be removed from the next version of Oolite?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 am

YES
44%
NO
56%

Total votes: 55

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Energy Bomb Poll

Post by JazHaz »

Do vote in the poll, but don't leave messages here. Instead, please use the discussion thread at: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7418
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

To be clear, energy bombs *are* removed from the next version. This poll is asking if this was a good thing.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Need a third option for the ambivalents among us. I've never used an energy bomb in any version of elite.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Cmdr James wrote:
To be clear, energy bombs *are* removed from the next version. This poll is asking if this was a good thing.
Or maybe JazHaz is visiting from a parallel universe... That might explain a few things! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmdr James wrote:
To be clear, energy bombs *are* removed from the next version.
That's OK, we'll fix that.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

No one is suggesting that you shouldnt add it with an OXP. In fact it has been repeatedly suggested that someone do so.

EDIT: It wasnt my decision to remove it, and although I am pleased its gone, Im not trying to defend the decision Im just trying to make the current position clear.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

It wasn't an attack or a threat, merely a promise.

And they say there will never be an oolite mmorpg. They don't realise, this is it and we're all playing variations of ourselves. Truely the game itself is only the hub around which spins the wider social and creative game.
9000Parts
Average
Average

Post by 9000Parts »

How am I supposed to make a living scooping cargo if I cant do it the esay way by dropping an E Bomb next to a large convoy?
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Use your red death ray on the hauler. Eventually the will release their cargo in the hope that you will be scooping instead of killing.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well, it seems the debate is over. Those who want the e-bomb in their 1.74 game will be able to have it. :D

I've just downloaded the latest version (SVN2981) of Trunk, and Ahruman has now made restoration of the e-bomb a matter of a simple equipment.plist change, much as Cmd. Cheyd suggested.

It will therefore be possible for anyone who wants the e-bomb available to have it via a simple edit, and creating an oxp to activate the feature would be a trivial exercise...

Here is a_c's explanation of how to enable the e-bomb.
another_commander wrote:
The current entry in equipment.plist looks like this:

Code: Select all

(
		7, 9000, "Energy Bomb",
		"EQ_ENERGY_BOMB",
		"A one-shot super-weapon capable of destroying all small craft within range.",
		{                           // RemoveMe
			strict_mode_only = true; // RemoveMe
		}                           // RemoveMe
	),
To reinsert the bomb in the game it is sufficient to remove the lines marked with RemoveMe.
Changing the line to read "strict_mode_only = false;" will have the same effect.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Personally, I think it's a shame that it's been deleted from the game, though I am glad that the programmers had the forethought to allow it as an option.

It's also good that it's retained for Strict Mode.

The Energy Bomb is very much a "last resort". Perhaps it does make more sense that you should instinctively reach for the Escape Pod rather than the Energy Bomb when you're on you're last energy bar.
It's perhaps also true that it is less necessary in Oolite than it was on the BBC Micro.

I've used it mostly on some of the OXP missions, when there are just millions of ships, all of them hostile. When you've fired all your missiles and Q-bombs, and all your lasers have overheated, a quick EB can often cut the odds a little, but still leave you with a challenging mission to complete.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

The E-bomb is over powered to start with, I do not care what other people say, an E bomb couldn't possibly kill a thargoid invasion ship in 1 blow.

Even as the comment states

A one-shot super-weapon capable of destroying all small craft within range."
Only it destroys all craft, something it never did, at least on the commodore 64 version.. or in fact I know it, because it could not take out the constrictor in 1 blow, because of the tough shields that only could be penetrated by a military laser.

As a logical weapon.. no one but the player should be expected to use it, since AI pirate groups would'nt destroy each other, so to see it go, is a good thing IMO..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Frame wrote:

Only it destroys all craft, something it never did, at least on the commodore 64 version..
Actually it doesn't. Last night I came up against a Renegade Frigate. Used an energy bomb against it but it didn't destroy it. But it did weaken it significantly so that I could destroy it with my lasers.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

JazHaz wrote:
Frame wrote:

Only it destroys all craft, something it never did, at least on the commodore 64 version..
Actually it doesn't. Last night I came up against a Renegade Frigate. Used an energy bomb against it but it didn't destroy it. But it did weaken it significantly so that I could destroy it with my lasers.
yeah but it presumably has a very large energy reserve, and is OXP.. not canon :-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I must admit all of this has got me thinking on the subject, and I might throw together an OXP of a few more bomb variations that may be a little more towards people's tastes. Will of course be pylon-mounted rather than tab-key, but shouldn't be too difficult to do.