Help needed with Wings3d/Obj2DatTex

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Help needed with Wings3d/Obj2DatTex

Post by ADCK »

http://www.box.net/shared/2d4s682253

I can't figure out why, but whenever i export the above 4 models from Wings3d to obj, then convert them to dat with Obj2DatTex the dat files contain no info on the UVMap/texture, can anyone help me with this? I'm probably forgetting one simple step as I've managed to get this to work in the past.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hi ADCK
I can't explain what was wrong with your models, but through a short process of converting the meshes from the wings format to obj, then importing that obj into Lightwave, then re-exporting them back as obj's to wings they now seem to work ok with the obj2dattex.py script
the working dats and working obj's are here
http://www.box.net/shared/3png8n8agq

open the dats in a text editor (not windows notepad!) and search replace checkerboard.png with your texture filename (checkerboard.png is a test texturemap i used during the converting processes above)

Beautiful models by the way!
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Thanks much!

Ya, i tried like a million diff things and couldn't figure out why the UV maps weren't sticking, i'm guessing the problem is Wings and not Obj2Dat.

Maybe i'll try a fresh install of wings. See if that works.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I also find that exporting it to 3ds then making a new file in wings importing that 3ds file and re-exporting as obj works too, easier as it only uses one program that way :P

But thanks for the tip, wouldn't of been able to work it out otherwise.