Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Transitions; Docking/Undocking versus Witchspace

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Transitions; Docking/Undocking versus Witchspace

Post by JeffBTX »

Not a big deal... maybe for inclusion "at some point", or for 1.74 if the developers find it agreeable and and something acceptable "can be whipped out"... a minor cosmetic thing.

The transition(visual) for docking, undocking and going into witchspace is identical. I'd like to suggest that they be unique. If people are in agreement, maybe specific suggestions can be posted in the thread.

=====
SIMPLE suggestion:
Witchpace transition: leave it as it is (unless it is improved for flashier effects, possibly "cloudy/sparkly")

Docking/Undocking: the transition is depicted as an animation; travelling through a tunnel with metallic walls... maybe a few flashing/nonflashing lights... perhaps warning/info signs on the walls. A step further, Docking and Undocking are individually unique; signs: DO NOT EXIT SHIP UNTIL BERTHED / DANGER - SPACEBOUND -DO NOT EXIT SHIP. Unique sound; something maybe mechanical. Pneumatic tube sounds, railway sounds, cogs/chains/robotic arms, elevator/lift sounds. The animations shouldn't be TOO LONG, people would just get impatient. Maybe to keep it short, JUST a short journey through a metallic tunnel with a unique sound.
=====
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

i agree, maybe a docking animation, even the unfinished gameboy advanced version had a small sequence when you docked/
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Grrrr! This thread keeps showing up as having unread posts in it! Even after I've read it - even after I've closed the Oolite tab and reloaded it...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Not for me.

And I agree with the suggestion.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

OK, in the current trunk the hyperspace and docking tunnel effects are already different (they display different colors). Additionally, in the current trunk it is possible to change the default model used for the docking rings and the colors used for the default ring sequence. This enables one to modify the docking effect in pretty interesting ways. It's not exactly what JeffBTX wants, but it should be pretty close and it's already there.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Jeff, it definitely would be a wonderful idea if you were to take one of the trunk builds for a spin. Ok, not to use as your main game environment, it could crash in various interesting ways, but since reading the log a_c has kindly provided didn't help, at least you'll have a chance to see first hand what has already been done since 1.73.4 - apart from the stuff Ahruman did mention, quite a few other bits 'feel' better now:

for example, try buying a laser, or finding a specific planet / system in the long range chart ( it remembers the last one found using the find function, & you can switch through all the partially matched systems using shift-arrows ).

Or you could still re-read the log a few more times I suppose...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Kaks;

Yes, sorry about that. I "looked at" the log... "scanning it" I suppose, and *reading* what only caught my eye.

So I will stop a potentially bad habit here... before I offer any more suggestions, I will DEFINITELY read the current change logs.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Complete re-make of docking hyper space tunnels?!!

Post by GUNSMIF »

Cant you mod guys just make a oxp thats completely new?? maybe a outer ship view watching the ship enter a hyperspace cloud or a twisting worm hole affect thats in cockpit only.how about a little `cut scene` when docking with a computer??? would make Oolite just that tad more Ooooooh! :lol:
NOTICE to all SPACE GAMERS!!!
Check out http://www.spacesimcentral.com/portal.p

For all your space gaming needs just put a shout out for DarkOne!!
DaddyHoggy

Re: Complete re-make of docking hyper space tunnels?!!

Post by DaddyHoggy »

GUNSMIF wrote:
Cant you mod guys just make a oxp thats completely new?? maybe a outer ship view watching the ship enter a hyperspace cloud or a twisting worm hole affect thats in cockpit only.how about a little `cut scene` when docking with a computer??? would make Oolite just that tad more Ooooooh! :lol:
OXPs have to work with what the Oolite Engine allows - if its not there - it can't be modified.

There's lots of things Oolite can't do - but it astonishes me how much it can!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

oh i see, fair enough! :) shame though :roll:
NOTICE to all SPACE GAMERS!!!
Check out http://www.spacesimcentral.com/portal.p

For all your space gaming needs just put a shout out for DarkOne!!