Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Add ons!!!!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

HousenBurg
Harmless
Harmless

Add ons!!!!

Post by HousenBurg »

Please help.
As a Elite fan from the days of my Acorn Electron imagine, as i'm sure you all felt, how gleeful i was when someone told me about Oolite!!Anyway after merchanting and pirating my way up to Dangerous i decided to download some add ons.
The first couple worked like a dream 'aquatic ships' nice!
Since then i've put a few others on and none seem to be working. Star Wars ships are not appearing, Monks who lend money are not to be seen and missions are not where they should be.
The files i download are being unzipped into the add-ons folder.
Can anybody help me?
Dangerous
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hi Cmd. HousenBurg,
Welcome to the Ooniverse, Word of warning, once in, almost impossible to get out.
Now a possible cause of your oxp's not working.
I found that with quite a few of them when you unzip them they unzip to a folder with the same name but the actual oxp is inside that folder with a read me .txt
Check inside the Add on folder and make sure the oxp has in fact the .oxp extension
I unzip them to an other folder I call Oolite extras. This not only gives easy access to all the oxp's I have downloaded but allows me to quickly chop and change which ones I want to use.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Just to make it totally clear, the OXP's are installed as complete folders inside the AddOns directory.

eg: C:\Oolite\Addons\Example.oxp\...

As Alex mentioned, the zip files generally have a nest of folders within them.

eg: Example.zip might contain:

\Example\Example.oxp\...

What I tend to do is to use Explorer (or Finder or whatever you have) to open the zip and directly move the folder out of the zip and into the Addons folder. I usually have two windows open, one showing my downloads folder and the other showing the Addons folder.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

HousenBurg: You can also check the file Latest.log inside <OoliteInstall folder>/oolite.app/Logs. This will tell you which OXPs have been recognized by the game and report errors, if any have occured. Remember that sometimes, the fact that an OXP is publicly available does not necessarily mean that it is completely problem-free. Both the game and its expansion packs are in continuous development.

If you think something is wrong in your game, feel free to post the Latest.log here and we will probably be able to help.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Are you running Linux? If so you may need to changes the permissions of the folders and all their contents.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

JazHaz wrote:
the OXP's are installed as complete folders inside the AddOns
you dont want the complete folder, just the OXP, which looks like a document (with an icon on it)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
the OXP's are installed as complete folders inside the AddOns
you dont want the complete folder, just the OXP, which looks like a document (with an icon on it)
This is only true on a Mac.