Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Selezen wrote:
Err... Name the series this quote is from: "What they need out there is a good copper."
Draws a blank here. Anyone?
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

My first Doctor was Tom Baker, who is 'my' Doctor, but later I saw earlier Doctors like Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton (and seeing earlier things later is kinda apt for DW).
I liked Christopher Eccleston and wished he had stayed for more than one season.
I'm very interested to see what the writer Steven Moffat does with the series now that Russell Davies is gone.

RE: time, I found the new series plays pretty loose with the original canon, so times and ages get all messed up.
DaddyHoggy wrote:
And David Tennant's Doctor states he's over 900 years old - so 150yrs (whose years?) passed between Tom Baker's Doctor and David Tennant's.

So - an open related question - which incarnation of the Doctor was your first Regeneration?

For me - it was John Pertwee to Tom Baker and therefore Tom Baker was 'my' Doctor.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I figured that when he was living in Gallifrey, there's wasn't much danger, so he lived fine, (and Gallifrey had a great health system, like NHS, but with no waiting, since you jump ahead in time to when your appointment is and then jump back when done)
He moved to Earth and kinda just hung out there and the series is the start of his adventurous life.

DaddyHoggy wrote:
ramon wrote:
I can tell you didn't look it up - the answer is 13 incarnations, so 12 regenerations. Interestingly, the "first" Doctor also said he "wasn't the first incarnation."
He couldn't be the first incarnation - otherwise he'd have got to 850 yrs old with no hiccups and then in the last 50 or so he'd "died" another 9 times!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Zieman wrote:
Selezen wrote:
Err... Name the series this quote is from: "What they need out there is a good copper."
Draws a blank here. Anyone?
I'm stumped too. The ONLY thing that I can think of (and I know, or I am pretty sure that it is wrong) is the re-make of the movie "Invaders from Mars" (because their weapons were "fueled" by copper).

OR this has something to do with police. Maybe some cyberpunk SciFi cops-and-robbers show.

But I still draw a blank.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think Copper probably means police in this context.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I think it's from Babylon 5, & Mr Garibaldi might well have said that. But I don't have any questions to ask if I'm right...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Selezen wrote:
Name the series this quote is from: "What they need out there is a good copper."
Star Cops?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
Selezen wrote:
Name the series this quote is from: "What they need out there is a good copper."
Star Cops?
My word I'm not the only person out there who remembers Star Cops! Phew!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
My word I'm not the only person out there who remembers Star Cops! Phew!
Hey, it was only ... TWENTY-THREE YEARS AGO! :shock: Good grief. :lol: I've just seen Selezen's quote there on the wiki page, so I'm going to assume I'm right.

Name the series: "All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension."
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well done for getting the Star Cops quote! One of the most underrated series ever!

As for the new one, that's good old Sapphire and Steel! Another of the truly original sci-fi concepts that didn't get the attention it deserved...

OK, now for a notorious question that I used to get ribbed for knowing the answer to.

How many duranium fastening rods (rivets) hold the Enterprise D's bridge section to the main saucer framework?

I know. The truly sad fact is that I have memorised this statistic.
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Aghast... I'm "almost" a trekkie (maybe a "calmer" version of many trekkies)... or I WAS a trekkie in my youth... I can't say that I know that one without looking it up. I DID look it up. ... not going to post it ...
Someone else might actually have it memorized.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Selezen wrote:
Well done for getting the Star Cops quote! One of the most underrated series ever!

As for the new one, that's good old Sapphire and Steel! Another of the truly original sci-fi concepts that didn't get the attention it deserved...

OK, now for a notorious question that I used to get ribbed for knowing the answer to.

How many duranium fastening rods (rivets) hold the Enterprise D's bridge section to the main saucer framework?

I know. The truly sad fact is that I have memorised this statistic.
Now should I refer to the Technical Guide or should I go into the loft and get the Enterprise-D's Blueprints out... (actually the tech guide is in the loft too - nuts - that means I will have to think about it instead and try and remember... was it mentioned during the first episode? When they separate to do battle with Q...?)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Hehehe... my opinion for what it is worth. First of all, cheating is a personal thing, and who cares for this kind of thread. ME PERSONALLY I won't, but that's just me.

I think we can all agree that looking something up on the internet is cheating.

BUT... if you have a Tech Manual, or whatever, then YOU spent money on it (or stole it, or killed for it, or inherited it, or your cat dragged it home one day..)... it is within the sphere of your personal resources.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

A little bird whispered the number 143.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Hee hee. It's just one of those things that I did read in the technical manual and it was such a ridiculous level of detail that it just stayed in my head. I even know the length of the duranium rods, which may be worse...

Anyway. Not 143. Higher.