Galactic Navy OXP

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Galactic Navy OXP

Post by JazHaz »

Is it worth buying victory bonds, or is it a waste of credits?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Worth it, but not from an investment stand point. The bonds never actually mature / produce a yield. However, purchasing enough of them will prove to be beneficial.

I am being vague intentionally so as not to spoil it for anyone who is wants to be suprised. If you want to know now, the answer is below.

Rot13 Encoded Spoiler:
Vs lbh ohl rabhtu obaqf, gur FrpPbz fgngvbaf tvir lbh n qvfpbhag fb gurl fryy ng "abezny" cevpr. Vs lbh ohl zber fgvyy, riraghnyyl lbh trg n frpbaq yriry bs qvfpbhag gung onfvpnyyl chgf rirelguvat ng 50% bss abezny cevprf. Guvf vf rfcrpvnyyl hfrshy sbe znvagranapr bireunhyf nf gur fgngvbaf ner rssrpgviryl GY15 VVEP.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Rot13 Encoded Spoiler:
Vs lbh ohl rabhtu obaqf, gur FrpPbz fgngvbaf tvir lbh n qvfpbhag fb gurl fryy ng "abezny" cevpr. Vs lbh ohl zber fgvyy, riraghnyyl lbh trg n frpbaq yriry bs qvfpbhag gung onfvpnyyl chgf rirelguvat ng 50% bss abezny cevprf. Guvf vf rfcrpvnyyl hfrshy sbe znvagranapr bireunhyf nf gur fgngvbaf ner rssrpgviryl GY15 VVEP.
Glad the 5k i'd already spent is not lost!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Worth it, but not from an investment stand point. The bonds never actually mature / produce a yield. However, purchasing enough of them will prove to be beneficial.
I'd call them a good investment - as that way I've much more money now than I would have if I never had bought them!

Screet
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

What he means is that bonds are an investment instrument and that as they dont "work" in game as bonds they are not a good investment.

They are a good thing to buy, but not as a traditional bond investment :)
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

Cmdr James wrote:
They are a good thing to buy, but not as a traditional bond investment :)
So more like another piece of equipment such as fuel scoops or cargo bay extension then?
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

BlackKnight wrote:
So more like another piece of equipment such as fuel scoops or cargo bay extension then?
You will find it out .-)
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Navy OXP

Post by CptnEcho »

JazHaz wrote:
Is it worth buying victory bonds, or is it a waste of credits?
Think of Victory Bonds as a donation to a charity or worthwhile cause. You'll never see the money again or reap a monetary reward. But there are some benefits, perks and warm fuzzy feelings you may get in return.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Kind of off topic, I guess. Does anyone know if you ever got anything for donating to any of the charities in Frontier First Encounters?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Cmdr James wrote:
Kind of off topic, I guess. Does anyone know if you ever got anything for donating to any of the charities in Frontier First Encounters?
I think normally nothing happened, but making a donation to the right party at the right moment in time was the way to enter the Argent's Quest series of hard-coded missions, which was one of the best parts of FFE.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Thanks.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr James wrote:
I seem to remember in FE2 that donating would prevent something, but can't remember what.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Getting back on topic, if GN is still being developed, I would like the option to accept or decline each reserves mission. As it is now, if I dock with a Secom station I get the mission if I want it or not.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
I seem to remember in FE2 that donating would prevent something, but can't remember what.
I think now that I have been dwelling on it, that donating to charity would improve your reputation, making people more willing to accept you for missions....
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Also back to the original question: The victory bonds are meant to give you an opportunity to spend some of you money, because after you have bought and kitted out your dream ship you don't get a lot of these opportunities anymore. The millions keep amassing, but there is no real point in having money, if there is nothing you can spend it for. That's how the victory bonds were invented.