Questions about new Planet Code

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Questions about new Planet Code

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Is there an idea yet on if / how OXP authors will be able to use shaders, materials, etc on the new planets? Could one of you give me a snippet of sample?

I'm hoping we don't have to do it all through plists, and can actually do some of this via JS like we currently do the textures...? I'd be perfectly happy using a standardized shader for all of them if it meant we could specify the materials used.

I'm just looking forward to the feature release and how it will impact SR2...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

There was a vague idea somewhere of using a new .material/.setMaterial() property/function to planets and to discontinue the now-looking-decidedly-provisional .texture property, but nothing is anywhere near being finalised.

There are at least 3 graphic/positioning glitches, 1 missing feature & 1 very randomly occurring bug in the new planets code as it is now, and that's before adding a reasonable looking atmosphere and any new js stuff to it: the planet rewrite is going to take quite a long time to complete, so there's plenty of time to adjust things and/or make suggestions regarding the new planets' scriptability!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The current WIP shader supports meaningful combinations of the following texture types: albedo (diffuse), albedo + light map, normal, normal + specular, separate light map. It will almost certainly be possible to set these in a future release, and to specify custom shaders (note: these won’t be directly interchangeable with ship shaders). As usual, we can’t say when.