Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Newbie here; frequency of Thargoid Occurances? PC-Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Newbie here; frequency of Thargoid Occurances? PC-Oolite

Post by JeffBTX »

Hi all,

I just "discovered" Oolite a couple of days ago, and I've been playing almost nonstop since the download (must be that imported gourmet Thargon Quirium Coffee). I've done the usual with a new game... did the research, looked things up, did wacky experiments. Running 1.73.4 on a PC.

I've been a "SpaceSimmer" for years. My first version of Elite was the C64 version... later Elite Plus on a PC... then Frontier, and FFE... and Wing Commander Privateer and Priv2... IWar and IWar2, the first *two* in the "X-" series (X-BTF and X-Tension... I was an X-Tension beta tester, my name is in the credits ... yay! ... its even on YouTube)... the Tie Fighter Wars, Terminus... I forget what else.

So far I only have 6 OXPs running; Fuel Station, Gritty Coriolis, PAGroove Stations, System Redux, Random Hits (which I am THOROUGHLY enjoying!), and Target Reticle. I am satisfied with those six for now.

I'm doing pretty darn good for two days of work. All my Cobra Mk III needs to be a full Ironee Butt is a Military Shield and a Mil Energy Unit. Doing OK in anarchy systems, and with Random Hits OXP.

Haven't done any of the native missions yet... except some fast talking jerk tried to sell me some balls of fluff (I remember that annoying situation from previous versions of Elite). I already have a cat/furrball thank you very much, and he is neutured, and won't start cloning himself ad infinitum.

ANYWAY.... sorry about that, I suppose that was my token "Introduce Yourself" thing. On to the question...

So far I have seen Thargoids ONCE, on approach to the station in Ensoreus / Galaxy 1. Some vipers were fighting with I think TWO of them, plus the "tharglets". At the time I only had a beam laser and weak shields, no witchpace injectors yet, but at least I tried, then ran to the station when my hull started getting cooked.

I've yet to get trapped by them in witchspace.

So... for OOlite (PC)... in general what is the frequency of Thargoid attacks?

Are any locations Thargoid prone?

Any conditions that promote their appearance?

... thanks
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Newbie here; frequency of Thargoid Occurances? PC-Oolite

Post by Screet »

JeffBTX wrote:

Any conditions that promote their appearance?
You can force a misjump by using the "up" key to max.

Aside from that, there are quite some oxps which will both add new ships to thargoids and increase the frequency with which you will encounter them. Galactic Navy also has missions against thargoids - you might want to check the wiki oxp page for those thargoid and navy related works!

Screet
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Screet;
Thanks... for now I am interested in the Thargoid Frequency under "Native Oolite" w/o influence by OXP's (for now... I probably will try those OXPs later).

So forcing a misjump can cause them to show up? I will have to experiment.... now that my Cobra is beefed up I wanna step on some itty bitty bugs.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

JeffBTX wrote:

I believe the chance of one Thargoid warship appearing in a system is 3%. This increases to 10% in Human Colonial inhabited systems. Additional warships have a lower chance of appearing. I'll need to have a look at the source, but I think that's the way it works.

Obviously Human Colonial systems are favorable for Thargoid presence and, of course, there is witchspace, where you can have all the Thargoids you need and then some ;-)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Screet;
Again thanks, that didn't exactly work for me, but it pointed the way...

I have my controls bound to a Saitek X-52 joystick. The joystick can't seem to force a misjump - I tried both pitching up and down.

The UP key... the cursor UP key pitches DOWN, and the down key pitches UP (for some reason). So I tried it with pressing the DOWN key throughout the witchspace countdown and that did the trick.

another_commander;
Yes, just had some, thanks! With coffee, fajitas and taco salad! Hehehe.

My first forced misjump in Oolite worked well, now that my Cobra Mk III has been beefed up, and I now have a sense of good tactics from anarchy systems. Made it back to Ensoreus with 20 tons of alien items, and NO damage. Against at least 3 (maybe it was 4 or even 5) Thargoid Warships (I didn't pause to count them, darn it!). I am getting good combat practice by trading between Ensoreus (Rich Industrial Corporate State) and a nearby Poor Agricultural Anarchy (I think it is Arara or something). Also playing the "Random Hits OXP" out of that anarchy.

I'll keep an eye out for them "in normal space" in human systems, then....

EDIT: Thats Ensoreus - Ararus. They are close enough together for good trading, combat AND having plenty fuel for fuel injectors after a jump / misjump. Had plenty of fuel left for the jump back to Ensoreus.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

JeffBTX wrote:

The joystick can't seem to force a misjump - I tried both pitching up and down.

The UP key... the cursor UP key pitches DOWN, and the down key pitches UP (for some reason). So I tried it with pressing the DOWN key throughout the witchspace countdown and that did the trick.
Welcome JeffBTX.

I have the same thing with my stick.
You should only need to use the Up or Down key at the last second... as the '1 second' fades.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

another_commander wrote:
JeffBTX wrote:

I believe the chance of one Thargoid warship appearing in a system is 3%. This increases to 10% in Human Colonial inhabited systems. Additional warships have a lower chance of appearing. I'll need to have a look at the source, but I think that's the way it works.
I have seen a single Thargoid Invader ship (the normal Thargoid ships) in a Naval Sector Base system (I use the Galactic Navy OXP), when NOT on a Naval mission, but that was the first time I've encountered one in normal space.

The Naval Reserve missions using this OXP are cool, there are usually a half dozen Thargoid Battleships, and about the same number of Invaders. However most of these missions (so far anyway) you are with other ships all attacking the Thargoids, so I've often found standing off and hitting them at long distance is the way to go.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
9000Parts
Average
Average

Post by 9000Parts »

Hello, my first post here and I only discovered oolite a few days ago.

Anyway, I have been a little naughty with the credits so I own an almost fully equipped Boa now but got jumped by a pair of Thargoids earlier today. Id just completed a 6.8LY jump so had virtually no fuel left and I was under fire almost as soon as I appeared. So, I was left with the choice of die or fight and die. Launched my Q mine and just sat there waiting for them to close in on me. We all died that day :cry:

Must say I was an original Elite player when I was still in single figures but this game is so much more involving and 'pretty'.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hi 9000Parts and welcome to the 'friendliest forum this side of Riedquat'.

It is a great game...
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, 9000Parts, and first of all welcome to the boards, and of course to this great game! :D
9000Parts wrote:
Launched my Q mine and just sat there waiting for them to close in on me. We all died that day :cry:
There is a lesson to be learned here: After deploying a Q-mine, run away as fast as you can in the opposite direction!

This may be useful for avoiding the "We ... all" part in the second sentence. :wink:
9000Parts
Average
Average

Post by 9000Parts »

Id just completed a 6.8LY jump so had virtually no fuel left
I understand the Q bomb well enough to know you are supposed to run away when you deploy it but I already knew there wasnt enough fuel to clear the detonation zone.

Still, I save the game at every station so nothing lost :lol: