So I was bored...

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

So I was bored...

Post by ADCK »

So I was bored and decided to make normalmap versions with engine/window glows for all Sungs ship textures and add them in game...
It's 24 Mb all up, and it still needs some little touch ups. I was wondering what the rules are regarding releasing this since it's originally Sung's work.

Sung doesn't seem to be around anymore, so it's kinda hard to ask his permission, I can't release this seperatly from sungs textures as it requires all of Sungs textures to have an alpha channel added.

I'd of course give full credit to Sung, as he did all the hard work, making normal maps/effect maps is hardly work at all.

...Of course if there's no interest in it, like no one want's it, then i won't release it either :P
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I'm quite sure that Sung has no problem with doing this.

I just wrote him an email asking him if you could use his textures and if he accepted me giving you his email to ask.

Cheers

L
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

I didn't install Sung's detailed textures yet because I use Neolite at the moment. Is Sungs work nicer to look at?
Well, I'd like to have everything normalmapped, so if you publish it, I'll take a look at it.

But about your problem: I just wanted to download Sung's textures and followed an old link leading to his site. That site is about a game he's developing together with another programmer... and suddenly I was all like "WHAT!" cause the other programmer is Martin Leidel, who's also working at Silent Depth - together with Sung! I'm in a community about Archimedean Dynasty / Aquanox (for which Silent Depth is a fan-sequel) for years.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm in (not too close) contact with Martin Leidel, so if you can't reach Sung, I'll ask if he could maybe reach Sung since they are developing two games together...
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Corny wrote:
But about your problem: I just wanted to download Sung's textures and followed an old link leading to his site. That site is about a game he's developing together with another programmer... and suddenly I was all like "WHAT!" cause the other programmer is Martin Leidel, who's also working at Silent Depth - together with Sung! I'm in a community about Archimedean Dynasty / Aquanox (for which Silent Depth is a fan-sequel) for years.
What I'm trying to say is that I'm in (not too close) contact with Martin Leidel, so if you can't reach Sung, I'll ask if he could maybe reach Sung since they are developing two games together...
O_o wow it really is a small world for that to happen.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by ADCK »

Lestradae wrote:
I'm quite sure that Sung has no problem with doing this.

I just wrote him an email asking him if you could use his textures and if he accepted me giving you his email to ask.

Cheers

L
Okies!

I'll continue to work on it for my own personal use, but it's ready for a beta release, only the window glows need a little work I'm not happy with them at the moment...

Is there a program for making screenshots of the models? As my PC uses a very hi res and I don't want to use in-game shots for posting pics...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

You could alwas do what I didn't do in the screenshot thread (I was in a bit of a rush, so I forgot to use the brain), and run Oolite in windowed mode. That way any shift-8 screenshot can be as small as you like! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Kaks wrote:
You could alwas do what I didn't do in the screenshot thread (I was in a bit of a rush, so I forgot to use the brain), and run Oolite in windowed mode. That way any shift-8 screenshot can be as small as you like! :)
hmm yeah, i suppose that could work, i'd have to install that command prompt thingy so i can spawn ships tho...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Very good point! After you install the console, you'll wonder how you managed to live without it! :D

It's not too difficult to install, by the way. Which operating system have you got?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

winXP 64bit
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Easy then. Just download the PyDebugConsole file:

https://developer.berlios.de/project/sh ... up_id=3577

There's an .exe inside, which is all you need in windows. Extract that file, and run it just before Oolite.

If you've got the debug oxp in your AddOns folder you can then do all sort of weird and wonderful things from the console.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ya installed this yesterday.

2 problems:

1, It tries to connect to the internet, telling my firewall to block it prevents this, and it doesnt need to connect to the net to work.

2, Turning it off is impossible, it well still run in the background after turning it off, even after ctrl alt del it off.

I'd say it was almost malicious... except when it does connect to the net or when it's running in the background it doesn't do anything evil...
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

It doesn't connect to the internet, but it DOES talk over the network. Simple solution is point it to 127.0.0.1, which is the loopback address in IPv4. Then you can unfirewall on the local machine and not have any security concerns.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Well, unless I have not been following up enough lately, the console by default is connecting to the loopback address. I think this is the TCP/IP connection attempt that ADCK is seeing. Out of the box, there should be no need to change any settings and it should already be pointed to 127.0.0.1.

The other observation of it not turning off is very strange indeed. I have no problem switching off the console at all on Windows XP. ADCK, how exactly did you attempt to close it?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

another_commander wrote:
Well, unless I have not been following up enough lately, the console by default is connecting to the loopback address. I think this is the TCP/IP connection attempt that ADCK is seeing. Out of the box, there should be no need to change any settings and it should already be pointed to 127.0.0.1.

The other observation of it not turning off is very strange indeed. I have no problem switching off the console at all on Windows XP. ADCK, how exactly did you attempt to close it?
Many differant wys, originally i did what the prompt said any type /quit or whatever it says, one sec, i'll reinstall it and try again.

Yup same again. although this time when i Ctrl Alt Del them they stay off:

OoDebugConsole.exe *32
OoDebugConsole.exe *32
RTSHookInterop.exe *32

are the 3 offenders

It's probably because im on a 64 bit system.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I'm intrigued!

For a start RTSHookInterop.exe has got absolutely nothing to do with Oolite or the debug console, so you might have some malicious software there already.

Second, you should just have one instance of OoDebugConsole.exe running. You definitely need to kill one of them, otherwise it's likely neither will work properly.

Screet has got xp 64 bit on his computer, and afaik he didn't get any of these problems...

And third, you don't need to reinstall, you can run it from anywhere on your computer... you should even be able to run it from inside the zip file.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Last edited by Kaks on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.