Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Time countdown on Black Monks fast?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Time countdown on Black Monks fast?

Post by Chrisfs »

I went ahead and took a loan from the Black Monks.
However I am noticing that the 'time until the loan is due' when I hit F5, seems to be running fast. I go between two planets that are .6 hours from each other
Lenin and the High tech industrial right next to it.
Yet after only a few trips, it already says the due date is a week earlier.
I assumed flying in regualr space was realtime. One second for every second in the real world. I know witch space takes extra time. And buying fuel and buying goods (no equipment buying), I don't think it takes that long.

Does the Black Monks clock run fast or am I missing something?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Time countdown on Black Monks fast?

Post by Eric Walch »

Chrisfs wrote:
Does the Black Monks clock run fast or am I missing something?
It is written in legacy code. Doing real math in that scripting system was a bit complicated. Multiplying an dividing is impossible. Only addition and subtraction were possible. The legacy system supported the game clock for its scripting and I used this time always for my missions, but almost any other oxp just counted the system jumps. Black Monks does the same: every jump counts as a day. I have no idea why it uses words as week in its texts as is means 7 jumps.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I suggested a very long time ago to make the loan actually time-based instead of jump-based. Even with legacy that's actually quite easily doable. (My code snippet is buried somewhere in the Blackmonks thread.) However, LittleBear never got around to implementing it.

So, your rates are still calculated in jumps, not days.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Ah!, that makes much more sense (though it totally ruins my strategy of finding two near planets), I wouldn't have guessed that but now I know what is going on.