Dat2Obj & Dat2ObjTex can't handle >1 texture. Any sol

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Plenty of OXP ships are turned inside out causing some very odd effects, Its when people flip the faces rather than flipping the texture UVS..

This results in what looks like odd collision behaviour too, since the physical bounds of the model will be the same, only the projection(what the player see) is altered. it is however barely noticeable with ships the size of a cobra, lighting is however screewed over seriously :-)..

Sometimes when laser fire seems to be hitting the front of the ship, you are actually hitting the rear of the ship, it is however also flying backwards, so it seems it is that it is correct, it is however not...

Wolfwoods variants found here

http://wiki.alioth.net/images/0/06/Wolfs_variants.zip

is a Prime example of this..

Try and view the ASP explorer for example in the shipyard, and you will notice what i mean in regard to lighting..

These are not just empty accusations, I counterchecked it by viewing a native Oolite model such as the worm landing craft or the venerable cobra mk III.. found in the resource Libary,, these do not project back to front as does woolfwoods variants, that is used in other OXPs such as Assassins.

Oolite does an exellent job of patching this up so that you do not get the back to front effect, it cannot however alter the odd visual quarks that sometimes appear as a result of this...

I just know I feel a little dizzy when viewing these ships...

I also viewed and discovered this while making my model viewer for Oolite Dat files some time ago...

downloadeble in my sig
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
Plenty of OXP ships are turned inside out causing some very odd effects, Its when people flip the faces rather than flipping the texture UVS..

This results in what looks like odd collision behaviour too, since the physical bounds of the model will be the same, only the projection(what the player see) is altered. it is however barely noticeable with ships the size of a cobra, lighting is however screewed over seriously :-)..
Yes, I noticed something was wrong when after two conversions my dredger-trader looked much darker than before. Opening both the original and the converted ship, you immediately noticed the difference in brightness.

Interesting was the player version of that ship. The viewpoint was placed inside the ship so you never saw anything of the ship, blocking your front view. Normally you had the full sky on your screen. With the converted version with the texture at the inside, you only saw texture around you and no space at all... :twisted:

I don't know if your observation of the collision is interpreted right. Oolite versions until now have a bug that resulted in wrong laser-hit calculations when hit by a subentity mounted laser. (I think the Wolf ships qualify here). Such a hit damages always the half of the player-ship pointing to the witchpoint instead of the side pointing to the shooter. This will be fixed in 1.74.