Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Intrepid oolite dependencies issue

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

tenfishsticks
Poor
Poor

Don't want to upgrade to Jaunty

Post by tenfishsticks »

Hi, all.

I'm having a strange issue, and I was wondering if there is any help. I've included the repositories for Hardy onto my Intrepid system and when I try to install the 1.73 package, I get this error:

oolite:
Depends: libgnustep-base1.14 (>=1.14.1) but it is not installable
Depends: oolite-data (>=1.73.4-0~ubuntu0804~test-1) but 1.65-2 is to be installed

Weird thing is, I have libgnustep-base1.16 installed, so it should recognize a higher version of gnustep. Is this a package error, or have I done something wrong?

I'd like to avoid any system upgrades because I have some other dependencies that require a huge amount of work to upgrade.

Cheers,
tenfishsticks
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Mixed repos is a bad idea :!: as it is mentioned in this Ubuntu Forum link.

You should use a repos, specifically for Intrepid with the related deb files.
However, considering this site, I do not think that this is available for oolite.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Getafix wrote:
Mixed repos is a bad idea :!: as it is mentioned in this Ubuntu Forum link.
Only if you don't know how to mix them. apt_preferences(5) may be helpful.
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Don't want to upgrade to Jaunty

Post by Micha »

tenfishsticks wrote:
oolite:
Depends: libgnustep-base1.14 (>=1.14.1) but it is not installable
Depends: oolite-data (>=1.73.4-0~ubuntu0804~test-1) but 1.65-2 is to be installed

Weird thing is, I have libgnustep-base1.16 installed, so it should recognize a higher version of gnustep. Is this a package error, or have I done something wrong?
hi tenfishsticks,

The problem is the way version numbers are handled for libgnustep. Oolite for Hardy depends on "libgnustep1.14". The "1.14" is part of the package name, not part of the version number Confusing..
So you'd have to install the older 1.14 version on your Intrepid box, which I think should be fine alongside the Intrepid standard gnustep1.16, but please note I haven't tested this personally. I also son't know if 1.14 has been packaged for Intrepid.

A similar thing happens with some other packages, eg gcc, where you have the gcc2.95 series installed alongside the gcc3.x.

- Micha.

PS. Why are there packages for older Hardy and not the newer Intrepid? Simple - Hardy is a Long Term Service release, Intrepid isn't and has been superseeded by Jaunty and Karmic..
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.