Video Card Suggestions

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Video Card Suggestions

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Okay, looks like my video card went tits up on my home system. The mfg isn't going to honor the lifetime warranty because I failed to register the product within 30day of purchase.

So, I'm looking for a new video card. What I had was: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16.

The new card needs to fit into this mobo:
ASUS P5B Deluxe

I would prefer to stick with an Nvidia chipset. Price is of moderate consideration, but I'm willing to spend a decent amount. Part of my problem is, I don't know if I can put a lot of cards into that motherboard. The cards are mostly listed as PCI Express 2.0 x16, but I think I only have a PCI Express x16 (1.0).

Failing to find a better suggestion here, I'll either go with this, or will upgrade motherboard and video card with this video card and this motherboard just hold off upgrading the system in general (which was the plan for ~February)
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Any particular reason why Nvidia? Because at the moment, ATI are the leaders on price vs performance.

Admitedly, I wouldn't be saying this if they hadn't sorted their drivers out so that Oolite would run properly.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Primarily because my experiences with ATI have never been positive ones. While their drivers may be acceptable at the moment, I have zero faith that they will remain so.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Ah, I know what you mean. I feel the same way about Nvidia.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Cmd. Cheyd

I'm pretty sure that PCI-e x16 2.0 cards are backward compatible with PCI-e x16 1.0 mobo's. That might be helpful.

Like Sendaks I'm an ATI user, and for the same reasons.
I can't fault the Asus mobo, I've been using an Asus for three years.

Regards

edit: Just checked: my 18 month old ATI Radeon HD 3650 is PCI-e x16 v2.0 and my 3 year old mobo Asus P5 W DH De Luxe is PCI-e x16 v1.0 and there are no problems.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I concur with El-Viejo's analysis of PCI-e 2.0 backwards compatiblity with 1.0 motherboards. I got a radeon 4870 last october which worked fine with my old 1.0 mobo.

Also I agree with the general dependancy of ASUS mobos.

On the ATI vs Nvidia front, if ATI hadn't sorted the driver issues with their latest generation of cards, I would've chucked them in favour of NVIDA without hesitation.