Damage Control Unit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Morbius
Average
Average

Damage Control Unit

Post by Morbius »

Hi all just been getting into Oolite, was 14 years old when Elite came out - having alot of fun atm.

I have a quick question regarding the Caduceus (alpha) - how does the Dameage control unit work? Do I have to press a key to activate it? As when my systems are damaged they don't appear to get fixed atm.
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

It just takes time for it to work. You should be seeing periodic "All Systems Nominal" messages - this means there is nothing it can attempt to fix. Otherwise you get success/failure reports instead based on what it tried to mend. Doesn't need to be activated :)
Morbius
Average
Average

Post by Morbius »

Thanks for the reply.

I have not seen any messages like that - does it take a long time to kick in or a matter of mins?
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

If I'm reading the script right, it should make a repair attempt 1 minute after launching/exiting witchspace, then try again at 5 minute intervals. You should be getting some message at these times.
Morbius
Average
Average

Post by Morbius »

Damn sounds like it may be glitched. I am getting no messages at all but the damage control unit appears in my list of equipment.

Perhaps i did not install the oxp correctly - i put the folder with oxp in the add on directory - that is all I have to do right?

Again, thanks for the reply.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Welcome to the board!
Morbius wrote:
Damn sounds like it may be glitched. I am getting no messages at all but the damage control unit appears in my list of equipment.

Perhaps i did not install the oxp correctly - i put the folder with oxp in the add on directory - that is all I have to do right?
Yes, that's right. Maybe you have an early version of the oxp with auto repair and need to update to the latest version?

Could also be that you are running an old version of Oolite which somehow doesn't run the script properly...

If you have the ship and did not modify the contents of the oxp, it's all in the right place. Otherwise the entire ship would be missing.

Screet
Morbius
Average
Average

Post by Morbius »

I got it from this board from the 'Cant find Caduceus' thread - neocaduceus.oxp

Is there a way to find out which version I have? and where could I get the latest version please?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

There should be a readme inside the zip file. Inside that readme there should be a version number, I do think you have the latest version though...

To find out which version of Oolite you're running, either open the Oolite readme, or, if you're on the Mac, click about

On windows & linux, Oolite's version number is included in the window's name.

For the caduceus to work properly, you need to use Oolite v1.73.4
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Morbius
Average
Average

Post by Morbius »

That is the version of Oolite I am running, odd. maybe I should try buying a new Cad - is there a trick to getting the Omega?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Morbius wrote:
That is the version of Oolite I am running, odd. maybe I should try buying a new Cad - is there a trick to getting the Omega?
If you have the node, it should work...thus if it does not, it's a strange thing.

Your log should, under world scripts, show this entry:
"Caduceus Damage Control Node" 0.1

Tricks to get the Omega variant:
1) look in a completely other place (maybe the systems you are at typically have random numbers which won't let it show up)
2) update the chance of it to be found in the shipyards
3) make a backup of your savefile and then edit the entry for the ship you are flying

Screet
Morbius
Average
Average

Post by Morbius »

Thanks, where exactly do i look for the "Caduceus Damage Control Node" 0.1?

and also would you be so kind as to tell me how I can update the chance in shipyards and also where I edit that file?

Appreciate the help - many thanks.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Morbius wrote:
Thanks, where exactly do i look for the "Caduceus Damage Control Node" 0.1?
In Latest.log, for windows it's in oolite.app\Logs subfolder of the oolite installation directory.

You can open that log in a text editor like Notepad++ http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm and search for Caduceus...or simply scroll to the part which begins with "[script.load.world.listAll]:" and then try to locate it yourself in there.
Morbius wrote:
and also would you be so kind as to tell me how I can update the chance in shipyards and also where I edit that file?
The oxp has a Config folder. Inside of it there's a shipyard.plist - open it with Notepad++ or another good text editor (not normal Notepad!) and search for omega-player. It should begin like the following...

Code: Select all

<key>caduceus-omega-player</key>
   <dict>
      <key>chance</key>
      <real>0.75</real>
The real after the key chance defines how often it would show up. 0.75 gives a good chance or you may want to raise it higher (not over 1.0).

After making the change, don't forget to start oolite with shift key down to force a flush of the cache so that the file will be re-read and the new value applied.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Just for reference, can you download my repair bots OXP (from one of the links in my sig below) and see if those work (you need to buy them as a missile/mine and trigger them that way when something is broken - see the readme).

It's the code on which the damage control unit is based. So that might give some idea whether it's fundamental to your install or whether something is broken in the caddy oxp somehow.