Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Black Monk banks invunerable?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Black Monk banks invunerable?

Post by Chrisfs »

Are Black Monk banks invunerable ?
I have tried taking them out with a quirium mine, a cascade missile (missile and bomb OXP) and a quirium nuke from the nukes OXP. None of them seem to affect it.
wildstar
Competent
Competent

Re: Black Monk banks invunerable?

Post by wildstar »

Chrisfs wrote:
Are Black Monk banks invunerable ?
I have tried taking them out with a quirium mine, a cascade missile (missile and bomb OXP) and a quirium nuke from the nukes OXP. None of them seem to affect it.
sounds like fun. i have .Oolite/AddOns/Shady_blackmonks.oxp but i dont think i seen any monks where are they i will c if i can destroy them.
Image B4 = Elite on c64 & now = Oolite1.73.4repositories UBUNTU OpenGL2.1.2 NVIDIA180.44 & vertex shaders eVGA GeForce7950GT512 P4-3.2mhz/3gb
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

High tech planets (about tech level 10 or higher) will have a Black Monk Monastery, which is a bank. If you have the Advanced Space Compass, you can use the '\' key to cyle through different 'compass points', The bank will be marked with a 'B' on the compass.. Approached from the witchpoint side, it has pointy spires and will start sending you messages offering a loan.
They have very powerful defenses.
wildstar
Competent
Competent

Post by wildstar »

Chrisfs wrote:
High tech planets (about tech level 10 or higher) will have a Black Monk Monastery, which is a bank. If you have the Advanced Space Compass, you can use the '\' key to cyle through different 'compass points', The bank will be marked with a 'B' on the compass.. Approached from the witchpoint side, it has pointy spires and will start sending you messages offering a loan.
They have very powerful defenses.
ok not found the bank yet but i ran across a monk before i fell asleep just after docking at station. i dont have nukes but i will go around attacking them while cloaking between shots and see if any will die. i wish the com would indicate in text who has been killed. the only thing that indicated a kill is the hals hot sis saying target lost Oo.
Image B4 = Elite on c64 & now = Oolite1.73.4repositories UBUNTU OpenGL2.1.2 NVIDIA180.44 & vertex shaders eVGA GeForce7950GT512 P4-3.2mhz/3gb
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

If you destroy something, you should see it explode on the screen in front of you,
wildstar
Competent
Competent

Post by wildstar »

Chrisfs wrote:
If you destroy something, you should see it explode on the screen in front of you,
yes if u r using lasers or r behind them when they explode infront of you but if u drop a mine and they die behind you ?

i have had vicious migraine so not played at all yet. but about to now. added some other oxp's hoping i dont get errors from them.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

wildstar wrote:
yes if u r using lasers or r behind them when they explode infront of you but if u drop a mine and they die behind you ?
You should get an info about the bounty, if the ship had a bounty on it. However, if you kill while you are cloaked (probably your problem with missile kills) then you are not awarded the kill: the counter does not rise and you also do not get the bounty...

Screet
wildstar
Competent
Competent

Post by wildstar »

Screet wrote:
wildstar wrote:
You should get an info about the bounty, if the ship had a bounty on it. However, if you kill while you are cloaked (probably your problem with missile kills) then you are not awarded the kill: the counter does not rise and you also do not get the bounty...

Screet
O.O oh wow i didnt know that lol thanks!! hmm why would it not though is this an intentional thing? i dont c y anyone would want it to be like that.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

You mean why dont you get a kill is you are cloaked?

When you are cloaked the NPCs cant hit you, so it makes it very one sided.

Of course you can burn them down to a tiny amount of energy, uncloak and finish them to take the ill.
wildstar
Competent
Competent

Post by wildstar »

Cmdr James wrote:
You mean why dont you get a kill is you are cloaked?

When you are cloaked the NPCs cant hit you, so it makes it very one sided.

Of course you can burn them down to a tiny amount of energy, uncloak and finish them to take the ill.
just cuz someone is cloaked shouldn't invalidate or discredit the kill. a kill is a kill. i dont care about the money or bounty really and thats what i do i fly around cloaked and then nail them but usually they fly away fast enuf i have to maneuver to get another chance at it sometimes cloaked again sometimes not depending on the threat level.

i am still trying to figure out how to destroy the big spinning cube (station) ? is that even possible hehe.

status no sign of a black monk again as of yet
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

wildstar wrote:
just cuz someone is cloaked shouldn't invalidate or discredit the kill. a kill is a kill.
If you're cloaked you don't show on anyone's radar, including that necessary to register a kill for your elite ranking or kills for assassination missions. Basically the kill happens, but if you're cloaked there is no way anyone could know it was you who made the kill. Therefore it can't be assigned to you.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

wildstar wrote:
i am still trying to figure out how to destroy the big spinning cube (station) ? is that even possible hehe.
If you're talking about the Coriolis station and similar system stations, no, it's not possible.

Even if it were, it would be pretty difficult as they recharge energy extremely fast and a normal ship thus won't be able to scratch them.

Screet
wildstar
Competent
Competent

Post by wildstar »

Screet wrote:
wildstar wrote:
If you're talking about the Coriolis station and similar system stations, no, it's not possible.

Even if it were, it would be pretty difficult as they recharge energy extremely fast and a normal ship thus won't be able to scratch them.

Screet
i believe you hehe i just tried spinning up 16 nukes on it and all my hired gunes performed Kamikaze runs on it then i think i took most my own hired guns out with my energy bomb which was of course also useless on the beast.

on the good news i managed to kill a black monk ship with military lasers and whatever stock, turrets might be working on my damaged OMEGA lol thank god for DCN as i suspect they been repairing it since i lost all combat nav equip for a while. anyhow took about 4-5 strafing runs heating up lasers each time to finally subdue it. and yeah i cloaked inbetween runs but i don't go into cloak mode so fast now and it even gave me a bounty because it was an offender.

the anaconda had made a cry for help at the time when i spotted it. and it thanked me. now shouldnt it reduce my fugitive status as a way of thanking me ?? i still a fugitive *sighs* i need to dock LOL

Chrisfs lemme know if u need any more help on this.

i added santa oxp but i not seen him yet. does he only come on Christmas eve?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Wildstar, even as a fugitive, you can still dock manually at the main station.

And we do know that the monk ships can be killed, even though they're pretty tough! Killing anybody with a bounty does lower your own fugitive status a bit, but depending on how 'bad' you've been, it might take a while! ;)
The original question was if the bank itself could be destroyed: it should be a pretty gothic looking structure in space, visible on your advanced compass as 'B'.

And it's definitely in the same system where you killed that black monk!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

wildstar wrote:
i added santa oxp but i not seen him yet. does he only come on Christmas eve?
I think he does, Eric recently added some awesome new scripts to this oxp and fixed it's bugs and i think one of the scripts checks the date before spawning santa - this reminds me i need to bump the santa thread to let everyone now about Erics changes to the oxp