Tianve OXP v1.3 now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Eric Walch wrote:
Or easier: define a scan_class = CLASS_NO_DRAW for that "planet". That way there is no countermeasure possible to draw it.
D'oh! Of course! :D Thanks Eric, I'm not particularly bright at the moment!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Then I suggest one of you clever bods rustles me up a prototype next-gen pulsar then!

8)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

drew wrote:
Then I suggest one of you clever bods rustles me up a prototype next-gen pulsar then!

8)

Cheers,

Drew.
? Me, I'm just the ideas man - I have a Belbin test result to prove it! :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Re: ..

Post by treczoks »

Disembodied wrote:
These are pretty cool ideas! Would there need to be something added though to stop NPCs from "retaliating" against the pulsar?
The easiest way would be to make the pulsars "weapons" sufficiently powerful. That would prevent them even to start retaliating :twisted:

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
DaddyHoggy

Re: ..

Post by DaddyHoggy »

treczoks wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
These are pretty cool ideas! Would there need to be something added though to stop NPCs from "retaliating" against the pulsar?
The easiest way would be to make the pulsars "weapons" sufficiently powerful. That would prevent them even to start retaliating :twisted:

Yours, Christian
No..... This is just supposed to represent nasty radiation bursts and stellar emissions!
Selezen wrote:
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I think we'd have to use a bit of artistic license here to be honest. Getting at all close to a pulsar in real life would be a pretty dumb thing to do. They're actually much nastier than black holes!

http://areciboscience.org/psr_radiation.pdf

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

drew wrote:
I think we'd have to use a bit of artistic license here to be honest. Getting at all close to a pulsar in real life would be a pretty dumb thing to do.
Indeed. This is the very reason why the scientific community is so interested in examining this rather large, but LIghtweight Pulse Emitting Object (LIPEO), which is the term used in the Tianve Ooniversity.
drew wrote:
They're actually much nastier than black holes!
I remember an astronomer who said that a pulsar is way better than a black hole: "It can still devour you like a black hole, but it has the benefit of a nasty death ray as a distance weapon". :wink:
Interesting read.

If the Tianve Pulsar was a real pulsar, any planet or sun in such a short distance would have to rotate at relativistic speeds within a extremely nasty magnetic field (just imagine what an iron planet core at those speeds in that distance in such a field would do... Yuck!). And getting hit by a real pulsars ray at that distance? Well, if the ray can be clearly analysed from a few billion lightyears distance, it would give more than a nasty sunburn when applied within system range :twisted:

So, the Tianve Pulsar is indeed something different - A Ooniverse LIPEO.

The question that makes to boffins wonder is how this thing came to pass. It's mass and density is too low and its size is too big to be caused by any known natural astronomical phenomenon. There are theories in the wild that the pulsar is the result of a kind of scientific or military accident.

And the Galactic Navy Intelligence and GalCop is trying to find out why the navigation computers from captured thargoid ships mark the pulsars location not as astronomical object but as kind of artificial thing, like a ship or station...

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Another note aboute the Tianve OXP: Rebecca is quite unfriendly. When I get in range, she calls me along the lines of "We know you, Commander XXX. Beahave or else!". Hey, I'm clean, have ever been clean and I've never shot anything but pirates, asteroids and thargs. Does she really have to be outright rude to a mostly harmless trader?

Yours, Christian
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

You're lucky you were never a rock hermit... Ok, I'm mixing Rebeccas here, but if you ever need some hermit meat, there's one trigger happy commander that could always provide you with some! :D
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

i heard that!!!!!!!!

us rebeccas are mean and moody....!

anyway rebecca in the book is pretty fiery and short tempered..... sounds about right to me! last time i went to tianve she went out of her way to kill me so count yourself lucky!!!!

and the rock hermit had it coming! OKAY? :lol:

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yessir! Madam! Sir! :lol:
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

Better!!! :twisted:

but im still watching you.... 8) :lol:
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Rebecca (my Rebecca!) is one of those characters who often surprises me with what she comes out with. I'd like to be able to claim that what she says is under my control, but to be honest that's not really true.

Other writers may know what I mean... she's one independant lady and I can take no responsibility for her conduct! 8)

As for the other Rebecca above, definitely not my responsibility! Welcome ma'am... your humble servant. :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

drew wrote:
Welcome ma'am... your humble servant. :wink:
ooo get you... 8)

out of interest why did you choose rebecca for the heroine in your book? should she have been called some zara or tempestua or barberalla something a bit more spacey?

B
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

drew wrote:
Rebecca (my Rebecca!) is one of those characters who often surprises me with what she comes out with. I'd like to be able to claim that what she says is under my control, but to be honest that's not really true.

Other writers may know what I mean... she's one independant lady and I can take no responsibility for her conduct! 8)

As for the other Rebecca above, definitely not my responsibility! Welcome ma'am... your humble servant. :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
I concur - once my (good) characters are created - I tend to have very little control over them - sometimes they instigate complete plot rewrites on the fly just because they've decided not to do something or say something. Sometimes I feel like I'm just along for the ride!
Selezen wrote: