Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Additional Laser Weapon OXP?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
plus, when the subentity is destroyed, the equipment is destroyed too, etc, etc..
This aspect should already be scriptable. Last time it was discussed there was some stumbling block, but I think it’s been addressed.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
Kaks wrote:
plus, when the subentity is destroyed, the equipment is destroyed too, etc, etc..
This aspect should already be scriptable. Last time it was discussed there was some stumbling block, but I think it’s been addressed.
Surely you know? The great Ahruman always knows - it is one of the foundation stones of my existence... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Thanks Kaks :)

I'll try it and see how it works out.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I think Ahruman's just being nice! :P
Kaks wrote:
True, that aspect is very scriptable already.
However, if we implement hard_point, we'll do that automagically, without the need for a single line of script.

Sendracks, Chrisfs, glad to be of help! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Kaks wrote:
Yep, if you are on a planet with the appropriate tech level, you can buy a plasma cannon to replace any of the lasers.
The problem with the Twin Plasma Cannon (at least last time I tested one) is that it lacks the oomph to compensate for the short range and the sub-light speed of the plasma blobs.
With a bit more power or better firing rate or more time before overheating (or any combination of the three), the TPC could become a viable option as a front mounted weapon.
A possible strategy would then be to use your aft (& side) lasers for sniping, and then use your front TPC for close range dogfights.

For this to be an attractive option for Commanders out there, the TPC would need to be able to take down targets faster than a Military Laser, provided that every shot hits, of course.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

CheeseRedux wrote:
The problem with the Twin Plasma Cannon (at least last time I tested one) is that it lacks the oomph to compensate for the short range and the sub-light speed of the plasma blobs.
…and a leading indicator in the Scanner Targeting Enhancement.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

CheeseRedux wrote:
With a bit more power or better firing rate or more time before overheating (or any combination of the three), the TPC could become a viable option as a front mounted weapon.
A possible strategy would then be to use your aft (& side) lasers for sniping, and then use your front TPC for close range dogfights.

For this to be an attractive option for Commanders out there, the TPC would need to be able to take down targets faster than a Military Laser, provided that every shot hits, of course.
And I presume there is no way to achieve this without an ill advised foray into the belly of the beast that is the main Oolite code.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Frame seemed to be able to tweak the plasma cannons somewhat, without touching the Oolite code, but I might be wrong.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Kaks wrote:
Frame seemed to be able to tweak the plasma cannons somewhat, without touching the Oolite code, but I might be wrong.
Custom Spawned high yield dumb fire missiles that acquire lead on launch, then never again, until they hit their target or they exceed their range.

Range is customised via javascript, while effective range is determined in the AI..
when hostile target

The script runs down a subjectivity array/list, when it encounters a specific role it checks the targets dot product in regard to up/down/right vectors. and finds out where exactly the target is, for example a right side turret cannot fire on a target that is on the left side..

Turrets are Shipdata entries like this..

Code: Select all

"Frame_DeFenseGrid_NonFrontNonBottomNonLeft" =
	{	
		ai_type = "dumbwreckAI.plist";
		max_flight_pitch = 20;
		max_flight_roll = 20;
		max_flight_speed = 41;
		model = "oolite-ball-turret.dat";
		name = "Turret Subentity";
		max_cargo = 0;
		likely_cargo = 0;
		roles = "FrameDefenseGrid";
		smooth = yes;
		scanClass = "CLASS_SHIP";
		scanner_range  = 4;
	};
as the name indicates it simply determines where the target must not be in order for the turret to launch its Pulses.

As when to put the object the right place i simply go about the same rules.

The javascript uses the sub entities max_flight_speed like bitwise operations.

Code: Select all

/1 = vector up //means fire if only at Vector Up
	//2 = vector down //means fire if only at Vector Down.. carefull a craft is allways at either forward or at the rear
	//4 = vector Right
	//8 = vector left
	//16 = vector forward
	//32 = vector aft

Give it a high enough thrust the wreck model for example will destroy vipers and the likes with 1 or two hits..

And it is deadly accurate in targeting attacking fighters Atm.. :-), while fleeing ones have much better chance at surviving.

Ofcourse if your ship is large, it is an easier target...

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Additional Laser Weapon OXP?

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Ahruman wrote:
CheeseRedux wrote:
…and a leading indicator in the Scanner Targeting Enhancement.
The plasma cannon is too slow in my opinion. If you spread the bolt up to the speed of a bolt from a turret then it might work.