Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Rtf can be read without a problem by most linux distributions file managers (any from circa 2000 AD onwards really). Of course it's a slightly fancier version of .txt, but it's still fairly simple, and doesn't even need a multi-mb dedicated program just to read it...

html is fancier still, but not as fancy as pdf!
As far as I know, any computer system that can render html - or pdf - will already be able to render rtf without a problem.

Simon, of course I'm more than happy to be proved wrong there.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Simon B wrote:
pagroove wrote:
BUMP:

Hi Simon,

What is the status of this project? Can I download all your new and old ships in a new package?

Really nice ships.

Grtz,
P.A.G.
The latest stable oxps are available on the wiki page.
The rest are in development.

If you mean the neolite-navy.oxp - it is unfinished ... I have the thargoid ships to go, and some tweaking on the models (getting turrets round the right way on the seccom station for eg.)

But, if there is a general itch to play with this before it's finished, I can put the current edition up for download.

I also have schoolwork - and I'm running around rebuilding some lost directories that were not in backup.

I've just passed assignment deadlines and Software Freedom Day, there are two more assignments to go and Richard Stallman to pick up and ferry around. It is also a special anniversary for our household.

So the next stage may just be a bit slow coming.

Ok and thank you. No need to hurry. Just bumped this Thread to see if you where still there :wink:

RL can be busy too, I know. I will look for the megaships on the Wiki.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Simon B wrote:
pagroove wrote:
BUMP:

Hi Simon,

What is the status of this project? Can I download all your new and old ships in a new package?

Really nice ships.

Grtz,
P.A.G.
The latest stable oxps are available on the wiki page.
The rest are in development.

If you mean the neolite-navy.oxp - it is unfinished ... I have the thargoid ships to go, and some tweaking on the models (getting turrets round the right way on the seccom station for eg.)

But, if there is a general itch to play with this before it's finished, I can put the current edition up for download.

I also have schoolwork - and I'm running around rebuilding some lost directories that were not in backup.

I've just passed assignment deadlines and Software Freedom Day, there are two more assignments to go and Richard Stallman to pick up and ferry around. It is also a special anniversary for our household.

So the next stage may just be a bit slow coming.
I was just searching for your megaships. Also be interested for a preview Navy version. :wink:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Just on the OT RTF ts TXT vs HTML vs PDF, I'm with Simon here on using the simplest and most widely accepted format for the job.

In the case for README's in OXPs, that should probably be TXT.

Documents which just must have some fancy formatting and/or included pictures should probably be -distributed- as PDF, or possibly HTML. (Source format is whatever the author feels ist best, but any collaborative work is probably also performed best on the most widely accessible formats).

RTF has, in my experience, always been a bit of a PITA. Yes, I can open it if I must, but I'd rather not bother. And this is on Windows too, not just Linux.

My 2Cr, we now return you to your regular broadcasts.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Bad news - my main machine, that I do all the oolite work on, is out of action. Which is why I've been so quiet.

If someone wants to knock the kinks out of the navy/megaships oxp, let me know. I don't expect to be able to do any more work on this for a few months.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

:( Hope it comes back to life soon!

Best wishes,
Oscar
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Whoa! That's seriously bad news!

I hope it turns out to be something simple and easy (and affordable) to fix!
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Still transferring to my laptop - just built trunk.
The reccurring issue with the station shaders seems to have vanished by 1.74 ...

... just waiting for my bandwidth to come back in the black and I'll be able to get the next set of changes up - before xmas folks.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Cool: I now have a new desktop machine - one of those tiny emachine things. I'll bring trunk toe this machine for further work, and upadting the neolite set - it has come to my attention that the version of neolite core for download is not the version I have on my local mirror. So we'll see a decent change. Stand by.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Yay! :D
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Y'know, it occurs to me that I now have a XP licence - I can run Rendermonkey. Though - rebooting just to do that seems a bit extreme. What I should really do is install a jre to karmic and run the console.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

I am tied up with politics etc - so slower going than expected.

Neolite Core
... early policy was that these ships would form a complete replacement for the classic models. In order that oxps which call the classics would actually call these ones, I just hijacked the names.

The original concept called for the default ships to be brought back renamed "classic", perhaps with slightly lowered stats, in some other oxp. Combined with the rusties and the vintage ships, you'd get an impression of ongoing development.

This has resulted in some oddness. OTOH: some other folks have voluntarily modified their oxps to accomodate the neolites and there has been some talk of, maybe, using the neolites, or something similar, as a replacement default set.

As time goes on, it looks less likely. In order to fit in better with other oxps, like griffs special set, I am being encouraged to rename all the plist entries and use a shipdata-replace file to remove the default ships instead.

This will mean that third-party oxps will no longer call neolite ships unless explicitly rewritten to do so. It will also remove any current incompatability.

What do neolite fans think of this?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Any development is a good development :P

As for the renaming, it will make things alot simpler.

speaking of the classics, recently i tried adding normal maps/effects map to one or two of them, was a waste of time, it just doesn't suit them and looks weird on such simple textures. Looks alright on sungs textures which use the same models tho.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Personally - as nice as the neolite ships look - I'd prefer it if oxps had a way to distinguish between neolite & the 'classic' base set.

I must admit, though, I really like the 'neomissionary' ship that resulted from a clash between neolite and another oxp! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

I like variety, so I'm in favor of renaming the Neolite ship-entries.
In fact, I've already done that in my install.
Also deleted the overriding .plist in Griff's OXP - in my Ooniverse there a several variants of the basic ships around.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM