The Ultimate Noob question?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

The Ultimate Noob question?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

The responses are not quite in the same league as those found on the friendliest board this side of Riedquat...

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/185946
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

... no, not quite. But, on the other hand, I also think that most questions we get are not quite in the same league... :shock: :shock: :shock:

But indeed, I laughed heartily while following the thread.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

You have to wonder at the question though...

It would be like someone coming on here and asking "so I want to create an OXP, can I just write out what I want it to be and some script will draw and texture my ship and put together the ship's statistics?"

Still, the response was a bit over the top.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

New grounds has always been easy to goad. I'm surprised more forums don't go on troll raiding parties over there.

Lock betting was always a good one.

On your main forum indicate the name of the forum your going to goad and the number of replies you'll think you get before it's locked (gentlemans wager) let the other players pick other numbers. When every one is done go to your victim forum and post something real dumb. Closest player to the lock score wins.

Yes I like to think we're slightly more accomidating and less openly hostile. Still youth is defined in no small part by its occassional spirts of senceless venom.

LK WTF? WR SO MCH NCR!!! BOFT!! ORY? OOOORRRYYY!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I am reminded of the old programming joke: “I don’t understand it. It’s as if the compiler just skips the comments!”
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Ahruman wrote:
I am reminded of the old programming joke: “I don’t understand it. It’s as if the compiler just skips the comments!”
:lol: :lol:
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

There are two sad points to that discussion:

a) that the kid probably really believed that his script would work somehow
and
b) that some spoilsport locked the thread.

And the guy who gave the software to the kid was probably following the thread and laughing his a... off.

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Selezen wrote:
t would be like someone coming on here and asking "so I want to create an OXP, can I just write out what I want it to be and some script will draw and texture my ship and put together the ship's statistics?"
You mean, it doesn't work like that?! :shock:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i remember way back when the VIC-20 came out they used to have them on display in the dept stores, set up so you could type and stuff. i was looking over them when some numpty walked over and typed in "play space invaders" and couldn't understand why it gave him a syntax error.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

A long long time ago almost in a different galaxy...
-----------------------
Me on the phone with one of locals that was about to do a reinstall of windows 95...

Him: use what a CD rom drive, I do not think I have one

Me: I'm sure your PC came with a CD rom drive in which to put CD ROM discs

Me. hear him saying something like ahh, i hear the cd rom tray open, it was rather loud..

Him: I think I found it: so that was what it was for.

Me: Yeah I could hear it open, so what did you think it was

him: a cup holder, you know, just like in my car, used it too, that was when I spilt my coffee into the machine and stopped working and I called you..

Me. flat on the ground laughing... had to disconnect and call him again,
claiming technical disconnection, but telling him that his warranty did'nt cover accidents, only technical malfunctions, told him though that his home/accident insurance might cover the repair costs..

and advised him not to put anything with liquids above the PC again...

The next one did'nt happen to me though..

This farmer kind of person had called the PC support line about his new PC and particular his 56k v90 modem.. that could only acquire a speed of some 1.2 kb/s...

It turned out that after they tried everything that the at that time monopolistic Telephone cable company TDC cables in the ground was the fault.. and since they had 12000 bits speed of connection, they would do nothing about it until it fell below 9600 bits, which was the assured speed for telephone cable lines...

The supporter cared a bit about his work , and after a month or so, he called back to the farmer to hear how things where..

The farmer said, all is good, I'm surfing with 48000 bits now (4,8 Kb/s)
the supporter was amazed and asked what had changed, did they replace the lines..

the farmer: not willingly, see I went out and located where does dam lines run.. took me spade, dug down, and cut the line, put the dirt back on and made it invisible that anybody had done anything-.-

See that cut off the entire village phone lines.. and you know, they replaced them dam quick too, within a day..

needless to say that the supporter was too chuckled up to continue any further conversation with the farmer... :-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

that seriously isnt true, thats hilarious, i think my mum would do that though

this is true

me: what are you doing to my computer

her: installing antivirus

Me: it doesnt have the hard drive in though!

her: oh the hard drive has nothing to do with the computer

start up screen blank

her: oh it keeps doing this! why wont it work

rings her partner, says it dont work and he says the hard drive has nothing to do with the antivirus either