Google Wave

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Google Wave

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Anybody else aware of this browser based app?

I just found out about it today.

Our PhD student is using it, he's currently got it tied in to Visual Studio and he and several colleagues around the world are editing/writing a piece of C++ code, in real-time, while chatting about why they're doing things the way they're doing it - posting hyperlinks in the chat window to support their code reasoning as well as general day to day chit-chat - it's kind of surreal watching it happen.

What I find amazing is that you can REV and FF the discussion and watch the message build up one stage at a time, so you can see/check, who said what and when and who made which changes...

Google will eventually rule the world...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Yeah, it's nice, some people use it at my workplace, but getting an invite proves to be rather elusive
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Well, my PhD Student says when he gets the option to invite - he will invite me - so when I'm in that position I will invite you!
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Well, my PhD Student says when he gets the option to invite - he will invite me - so when I'm in that position I will invite you!
Unfortunately, last I heard “second-generation” invitees haven’t yet been given any invites. I know I haven’t. ;-)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Unfortunately, last I heard “second-generation” invitees haven’t yet been given any invites. I know I haven’t. ;-)
:( :x
Selezen wrote:
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I have a friend at Google (benefit of living near Silicon Valley), invites are not easy to come by.
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

yeah they aren't easy to come by, I don't suggest buying them from ebay or bidding, some are pretty steep price and simply not worth it, considering its going to be open source, I have tried myself to get hold of one, and its been pretty hard so I gave up, I think more are coming, but no idea when, as its up to google, otherwise best advice is simple wait
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

I remember when GMail was by invite only - shortly after the dinosaurs all bought the farm. :P
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I got in on Gmail reasonably early in the closed programme, and Google Wave is far less ready than Gmail was then. It also lacks any sort of upgrade path from e-mail or existing chat systems, although its flexible bot system could hopefully be used to build some. It has a lot of potential, but there’s no real reason to be clamouring to get in just yet unless you know people who are actively using/playing with it.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The invitation situation appears to have changed somewhat. I now have thirteen invitations. First come, first serve. (Invitations will be sent to your profile e-mail address if you don’t specify another one. They may take some time to process.)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
The invitation situation appears to have changed somewhat. I now have thirteen invitations. First come, first serve. (Invitations will be sent to your profile e-mail address if you don’t specify another one. They may take some time to process.)
My first invite is on its way apparently - hooray - if I get one and I have the chance to offer it to others - sing out and I'll pass on my good fortune.
Selezen wrote:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Ahruman wrote:
Me, me, pretty please! :lol:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've just had my invite - so when I'm allowed to do the same I'll let you know!
Selezen wrote:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Thanks for the invitation, Ahruman! it looks like a useful tool.

I have 8 invitations. I'll be using four at work (since that's why I'm evaluating it) so I have four spare! If you want one, PM me with your email address please!

:-)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Thanks, Jens! :D

I now have 5 invites left.