Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Noob makes new skin. Should I share it and if so, how?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Captain Berf wrote:
I tried that and the texture didn't load.

v1.7.4 WinXp32
$PROGDIR/AddOns/Textures/foo.png
You are right, I always thought it worked also for oxp textures. I fly already quite some time in a boa that has a custom skin by this mechanism, but that is an Oolite texture that becomes replaced.
Captain Berf
Competent
Competent

Post by Captain Berf »

CheeseRedux wrote:
If you're on a Mac, there's Dry Dock http://drydock.berlios.de/ , which I believe* should do the trick.
Then again, if you're happy just watching it from within the game, you could just make a minor edit to a savegame, giving yourself the ship you want.
Not on a Mac. Will hacking a saved game work for not-available-to-player ship? (eg Dredger)
Captain Berf
Competent
Competent

Post by Captain Berf »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
I do my ship-texturing the same way. :P
:) That makes me feel better. All the tutorials approach this from the Mesh olympians' viewpoint.

Edit: forgot from
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Captain Berf wrote:
Will hacking a saved game work for not-available-to-player ship? (eg Dredger)
Now we're getting into unfamiliar territory, at least for me.

You could try and see if it works - if you see a big yellow :?: you'll know it doesn't.
However, Realistic Shipyards allows you to fly any of the ships that's in there, and it includes the Dredgers. (Probably not the latest version, but the basics of the ships should be unchanged.)
So you could get that (and use it just for this purpose, if RS is not your cup of tea) and either use it as-is or pull the player version of the Dredger from the RS shipdata.plist into the regular shipdata.plist.

A bit of a hack, but it'll work. (At least until someone with more knowledge of the ins and outs gives a simpler and more elegant answer.)
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Captain Berf wrote:
Is there an easy way to preview the end result. I could view the dredger trader easily in the saved game menu since I was piloting one. :)
Set up the Debug OXP and console, then use the command:

Code: Select all

:spawn my-ship-role
Captain Berf wrote:
Is the prefered size 512x512 or 1024x1024?
These days, I’d say 1024 × 1024. In reduced detail mode, this will be shrunk to 512 × 512.

I’d also suggest working at 4096 × 4096 and scaling down when it’s ready. This reduces aliasing artefacts (in particular jaggies, but there are other types as well).
Captain Berf
Competent
Competent

Post by Captain Berf »

Thanks.

I'll try to summarize this when I have a handle on it.