[dataCache.badData]: Could not read data cache

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[dataCache.badData]: Could not read data cache

Post by Lestradae »

What's that error message in the log, never seen it before:
[dataCache.badData]: Could not read data cache: in getBytes:range:, range { 36006720, 2276 } extends beyond size (36007936)
I have the DebugOxp running.

:?:

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

How are you doing with disk space? Did this come up the first time you launched the game after a crash? Does it happen continuously or was it a one-off?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Disk space is quite enough, there was no crash the session this happened, and it happened the first time and, as far as I know, just this once yet.

But as I am testing the "Oolite Extended" meta-oxp, I was wondering if it pointed to some as-of-yet unknown problem in there. The oxp has nearly 900MB ...

Does that help?

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

My inclination is to assume that this is a bug in GNUstep’s binary property list code, although it could also have happened as a result of a crash while writing the cache.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

OK, question one:
... a bug in GNUstep’s binary property list code ...
That would imply that it is not a buggy plist or script somewhere in the oxp?
[ai.load.failed.unknownAI]: Can't switch AI for <ShipEntity 0x18bd8818>{"Docking Slit (horizontal)"} from <no AI>:(nil) to " nullAI.plist" - could not load file.
And, while we're at it, what's that? (I mean, I can see that an AI is not there, but what for does a Docking Slit need an AI? :shock: )

Cheers

L
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

The horizontal docking slit has no AI what-so-ever (Because it's a subentity?), so it can't switch from no AI to nullAI.

Why would you be trying to switch AI's on a docking slit anyways?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
The horizontal docking slit has no AI what-so-ever (Because it's a subentity?), so it can't switch from no AI to nullAI.

Why would you be trying to switch AI's on a docking slit anyways?
Exactly my thoughts. I think the Debug.oxp caught that one and I have no idea as of yet where this is coming from. And yes, it's quite weird.

:?

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The Debug oxp is unrelated to that. Try a search for "Docking Slit (horizontal)" in your AddOns folder and you might be able to find the location of this one.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Two things, the bad data error message is basically saying that a particular subset of data is actually longer than it should be, and it normally happens when a file (apparently the cache file - in this case) is somehow corrupted. It can't read some data, but whether the data itself is buggy or not is another question altogether.

--

Reading the error message it looks like someone somewhere specifically defined a docking slit ai as " nullAI.plist" nothing too horrible in and of itself, I suppose, but the error message is because oolite cannot find the specified file. Why? Because of a typo. According to the error message it's looking for a file with a name starting with a space: " nullAI.plist" is different to "nullAI.plist". Do look for that specific string (the one that starts with a space), fix the typo, and suddenly you won't have that error anymore. As if by magic.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Kaks - gotcha!

Your "magic" worked and the offending nullAI.plist is now without the unnescessary space.

Thanks

L