Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP mentioned in the Galaxy Guide

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

This thread has the actual maps that I used when I assigned systems to each SecCom station. Hope this helps.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Nemoricus wrote:
This thread has the actual maps that I used when I assigned systems to each SecCom station.
OK, I take this as "Canon for Galactic Navy". Any particular reason why a system is assigned to a particular SecCom station? Or has it been a "looks good" decision?
Nemoricus wrote:
Hope this helps.
It does, indeed.

Out of sheer curiosity, I'll analyze the differences.

Yours, Christian
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Thargoid wrote:
Presumably you know of this wiki page (or at least the ones linked from it per galaxy)?
No, I did not, but I'll include links now that I know.

If Matt634 is ok with that, I would even include some more info into his pages.

Yours, Christian
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

CheeseRedux wrote:
As always, this gets more impressive every day!
Nope. Not today, today's my day off :D
CheeseRedux wrote:
From your examples given, it looks like the shortest path is calculated by number of jumps, distance (in LY) or a combination of the two.
Total distance in LY, actually.
CheeseRedux wrote:
Now I doubt it would have much (if any!) practical impact, but would it not make more sense to assign systems to the Sector Command which is closest in travel time?
Believe it or not, but this thought did cross my path, indeed... There was one point why I did not: I can calculate how long a jump takes, but the in-system-time can either be set to an arbitrary, fixed time or might even be variable due to whatever parameters. Thats why I stuck to pure sum of LY - lazyness. A map based on time might be different, but not necessarily much.
CheeseRedux wrote:
As I understand it, longer jumps take exponentially longer time to perform. (I'm sure someone has the formula at their fingertips.)
I would not bet any body parts on it, but I remember something like Flight Time in h = (Distance in LY)^2.
CheeseRedux wrote:
Thus it would be at least theoretically possible that traveling from system B to system A takes less time than from C to A, even though the distance is farther in both LY and number of jumps.
Problem is that the calculation very much depends on the in-system-time...

Yours, Christian
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Although its my day off, I could not resist calculating the differences between the canonical list and my list.

The Canonical Map:

My map:

They differ, indeed, little, but they do.

I'll leave it at that - Canon is canon after all, and I respect the authors choice, so I will take the lists from this thread.

Yours, Christian