Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Upgrade before ship swap or after?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

33tango
Average
Average

Upgrade before ship swap or after?

Post by 33tango »

Way back when all I ever flew in the original Elite was the Cobra MK III. I don't even know if you had other viable options in Elite. It's looking like there are some other ships I could try to make good profits here in oolite and I'm considering buying my first non Cobra to fly. It'll be a little while, and while I certainly am not an Iron Ass yet I'm getting there. There are some upgrades like heat shielding that while nice to have are not critical. Has anyone done the research to see what the rate of return is on upgrades? I. E. if I buy an upgrade for 15,000 and sell my ship will I get all of that 15,000 back or a percentage?

Thanks in advance, I couldn't find this answer anywhere.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I'm pretty sure you only get a percentage back – and exactly how much will depend on how recently you serviced your ship. If you want to get the maximum return on selling your ship, get it serviced first (after a certain amount of time this option will appear in the F3 screen when docked) and then buy a new ship when your old one is in prime condition.

If you trade in your Cobra for a larger ship you'll be able to make contract runs (available on the F8-F8 screen). If you make enough of these on time to get your reputation high enough, you'll eventually be offered much more lucrative deals which you can take on with a smaller, nimbler craft, should you want to go back to one.

Of course, a bigger ship like a Python, or a Python Class Cruiser, or a Boa Class Cruiser can carry more cargo and you'll make more profit that way anyway – which can help you save up for the ship of your dreams ...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, you don't get a complete refund (I think what you get depends on the techlevel), so it is better to first buy a new ship and then new equipment.

And if you get the maintenance option before you sell you ship, you should 100% take it. Basically all that maintenance does is increase the resell-value of your ship.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

If you are playing with the Commies OXP, there are stations that will sell you upgrade for a discount. I bought the ship at the main Commie station and then flew to the nearest other station in the same system and got upgrades for a discount.
Hint: look near the Sun
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Chrisfs wrote:
If you are playing with the Commies OXP, there are stations that will sell you upgrade for a discount. I bought the ship at the main Commie station and then flew to the nearest other station in the same system and got upgrades for a discount.
Hint: look near the Sun
The galactic navy has something similar. It first requires the player to pay quite much, but as it's also reducing maintenance cost, it will pay off after some playing time :)

Screet