Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Military Sheild Enhancement - Is it worth it?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

I purchase the Military Shield Enhancements when I can afford them. I consider them to be essential equipment along with other items.

I tend to trade and avoid combat until I've fully equipped a ship.

The priority for equipment purchases is up to you, but here's a suggested purchase sequence...

1) Extra cargo bay
2) Witchfuel Injectors
3) Docking computer (yeah, it is that convenient)
4) ECM system
5) Upgrade the forward laser to a beam laser
6) Upgrade shields
7) Extra Energy Unit
8 ) Hardhead missiles
9) Escape Pod
10) Energy Bomb
11) Fuel Scoops
12) Continue to purchase items as upgrades and/or additional equipment as they become affordable.

Good luck Commander. 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

Yeh that seems a sensible order. But its all down to taste.

Personally I would put injectors as first and have scoops nearer the top of the list. The docking computer is more a RL time saver than anything else.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Azathoth wrote:
... But its all down to taste. ...
Agreed. No worries. 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
33tango
Average
Average

Post by 33tango »

KZ9999 wrote:
Star Gazer wrote:
Absolutely. Get it. Flaunt it... :wink:
LittleBear wrote:
... The Military Booster doubles it by half as much again...
hhhmmm... I don't think that quite makes sense... :?
I think what LittleBear meant was this. Adding a Shield Booster doubles your shield strength (shield x 2). The Military Shield Enhancementt is a upgrade of the Shield Booster which doubles the booster strength (shield x 4).

In a more practical terms, there is a ton of other stuff you should have first before buying the military stuff. Just by chance I've written up a doc that covers all this Uncle Blix's Upgrade Guide. It's a alpha version, but it get you pointed in the right direction.
It appears Uncle Blix's Upgrade Guide has gone missing, link is dead. Anyone have a copy somewhere? Or has it been replaced by something else?
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I find I use the advanced space compass a whole bunch to locate Astogulags, FTZs, and the occasionally not obvious constores, which allows me to get better deals on stuff, so it pays for itself rather quickly. I would get it fairly early. Witchfuel injectors are definitely near the top. Docking computers are nice . Fuel scoops are somewhat of a must.

I have managed to get around the whole 'which to get first' question, by selling the Cobra MKIII, getting a cheaper ship and getting a bunch of gear at once.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

33tango wrote:
It appears Uncle Blix's Upgrade Guide has gone missing, link is dead. Anyone have a copy somewhere? Or has it been replaced by something else?
Here you are 33tango..

Part One
Part Two
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied