Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How does your Ooniverse look?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Thargoid wrote:
Which version of PF..?
It was 1.21

Have now installed 1.23 & tried out several large ships at some moons/planets with no planet splat events
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Which version of PF..?
It was 1.21

Have now installed 1.23 & tried out several large ships at some moons/planets with no planet splat events
:D

Sounds like you weren't suffering from a big-ship problem, but the orientation issues in 1.21 and 1.22. Let me know if you get any splats in the future, but sounds like that bugfix is actually sticking properly ;)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
oh, we are missing one category here:
Player ships too big to dock
Yes, originally annoying, but can these be fitted with Planet Landing Capability?
No. It's not about the annoyingness. According to the backstory literature outworld pilots are prohibited from landing on planets. The places for trading are the GalCop stations around the planets. Therefore it makes no sense to have a ship which cannot dock.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

A few thoughts I have been harbouring.

On reflection, when reading this thread I believe to find that four rather distinct ways of playing/enjoying/oxp'ing Oolite are made visible here:

1) The Minimalist
That way of playing relies heavily and exclusively on the original Elite. Modifications that go beyond that one's foundational ideas are shunned (like player turrets, big player ships, landing on planets etc.) Modifications that are wanted are mostly based on enhancing the quality of principles already in existance in the original Elite, i.e. the evil thargoids are lying in waiting, so there might be a cataclysmic war scenario about that, or the lawless anarchies might be expanded upon oxp-wise etc.

This sort of game is exclusively about deepening the meanings of things that happen in the game, and about enhancing their quality, to the probable exclusion of quantity and new ideas.

2) The Finetuners
These players/oxp'ers are very picky about what to allow into their game or not. They are not that concerned if something is Elite 'canon' or not, but have very clear ideas about which things beyond the principles of original Elite might 'fit' - or not (for them).

That venue of play is about also expanding the "quantities" of the game, like adding postal services, witchpoint trading stations, taxi services, missionaries and the like. These things might not have been in original Elite, but they fit for these players/oxp'ers.

3) The "Ooniverse-only" players
The sort of game favoured here is not nescessarily restricted to the Elite canon at all. Things like landing on planets, multiple-turreted player ships and buying stations as a player might feature here. This 'sort' of players likes to have as much as possible in their game, but draws the line at stuff that definitely does not stem from the Ooniverse - a Constitution or A-Wing flying by gets no applause from them ...

4) The "Aaaaaall-of-it"-crowd
Guess where I'm counting myself into :wink: Asides from purely tongue-in-cheek oxps like KillIt or the Christmas Reindeers sled on the space lanes, this sort of players considers the Ooniverse to be all that which oxp'ers have included, and see the core game as the canvas onto which the actual picture is painted. In other words: If it's potentially in there, I want it.

Playing like that means that the Ooniverse is perceived as a living, growing entity, that might one day have moved far away from the original Elite - or more like, have transcended that one's boundaries that might have had more to do with getting then's universe into a 64kb drive than with quality decisions. Obviously, that style of play probably runs danger of putting quantity over quality.

Please note that, while I myself am clearly attributable to that spectrum of Oolite gaming styles, I am not judging any of them as better or worse. I am more posting this in the hopes of promoting more mutual understanding about different ways to enjoy this game. Also to produce a discussion. And fodder for thoughts for my own meta-oxp project (which is definitely of the most interest for "playertype 4").

The best way of playing Oolite is, methinks, to stay close to one's sort of gameplay most enjoyed and not trying to convince ourselves "over". Wouldn't work anyways, and what for? It's a game, it should - first and foremost - be enjoyed :wink:

What I find interesting is that these four types seem to come out so sharply differentiated, and that there seem to be no real "strict" players.

Discuss, if you want to 8)

L

PS: While re-reading my own text, an idea popped up in my head. Why not use that distinction and attribute oxps to it? Say, Anarchists is a minimalist oxp fitting for everyone, player stations might be only for players of interests "3" and "4", i.e. That could give new players orientation about which sort of oxps they might want to have and which not!
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

(Enters PLayground)
Please note that, while I myself am clearly attributable to that spectrum of Oolite gaming styles
No C64 rules :D 8) .
(Leaves Playground)
Sorry couldn`t resist
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

L, I think you forgot

2.5) the no-ubers
Not particularly concerned whether NPC ships are canon or not, happy for the navy & some NPCs to have big weapons & turrets, but not interested in getting mega weapons, ie quite happy to survive on their judgement & skills, including running from a hopeless fight & using escape capsules if the situation gets really bad, and really pleased when winning against seemingly overwhelming odds.

Just my 2 pennies' worth! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

There are as many 'categories' as there are individuals who play Oolite.

Players decide what sort of game they want to play.

As players gain experience and confidence, I imagine they'll add OXP's to their Oolite game in order to enjoy additional elements of gameplay.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers