playdeb download not saving

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MrMonday
Average
Average

Post by MrMonday »

paolo@paolo-desktop:~/Scrivania$ sudo oolite
[sudo] password for paolo:
sudo: oolite: command not found
paolo@paolo-desktop:~/Scrivania$

this is the response for sudo oolite...
GNUstep there is in v.1.16.3 that is the lastest

i've tried even to change the access options in the right-click menu of the oolite-savings folder, but nothing happens

very strange... at this point i'll really try to reinstall from normal repository and not playdeb...

=)

edit:
reinstalled, started, saved... oh no, i mean, not saved... still don't work! risigh '=)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

MrMonday wrote:
paolo@paolo-desktop:~/Scrivania$ sudo oolite
[sudo] password for paolo:
sudo: oolite: command not found
paolo@paolo-desktop:~/Scrivania$
Ok, my bad - looks like the environment gets modified when you invoke sudo and removes the /usr/games path.
Can you do:

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/games/oolite
if that doesn't work, try:

which oolite
This should give you the full path to the Oolite startup script. Then:

sudo <output from previous command>
or, all in one:

sudo `which oolite`
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
MrMonday
Average
Average

Post by MrMonday »

worked the first:

paolo@paolo-desktop:~/Scrivania$ sudo /usr/games/oolite
paolo@paolo-desktop:~/Scrivania$ /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 291: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 296: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/ld_lib_path.sh: 42: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/ld_lib_path.sh: 71: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 359: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 423: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
E: core-util.c: Home directory /home/paolo not ours.

last part was red in the shell... scary... '=)
the game started... in a tiny window... but still don't save...

until now i've followed the thing; this time i really don't understand what i've done..!

=)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Hmm, something on your system seems to be rather broken, GNUstep a likely candidate eg, /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh should exist. In fact, that might be the main problem - if GNUstep (and hence Oolite) can't determine paths correctly, who knows where it's trying to save files to.

What version of Xubuntu are you running? I'll install a test system and give it a shot, see if it's endemic to Xubuntu, or just your system. I'll also try out the version of Oolite on that website you mentioned and make sure -it- doesn't do anything nasty.

I guess one last thing to try - start Oolite, then when saving, using Ctrl-<Enter> to go up to the root directory (keep selecting ".." until you can't go further), then Ctrl-<Enter> on the "tmp" directory, and then try to save there. That directory is always writeable to everybody although anything saved there doesn't survive a reboot - this is just a test.
MrMonday
Average
Average

Post by MrMonday »

xubuntu 9.04
oolite 1.73.4

thank you, all those efforts for a single report..!

saving in the root directory don't work...
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.cantWrite]: Failed to write data cache -- prerequisites not fulfilled. (This is an internal error, please report it.)

well i don't think oolite is the problem 'cause i've reinstalled it from synaptic...
yes it's possible that the package is the same, in fact i think it is and if it is so can't get why i am the only one that cannot save things...
maybe i should try to install the stable version, 1.65 i think...
concerning xubuntu it is (xubuntu fans don't kick me please!) a troublemaking OS, but just to understand each other this is good for learning linux things and tricks..! even when you must reinstall the OS and lost all the data... '=)

=)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

MrMonday wrote:
saving in the root directory don't work...
Good morning :)

No, the root directory won't work. in fact, it should never get touched :)

I meant, go up to the root, and from there into /tmp - the Temporary Directory.

Anyway, have downloaded Xubuntu, installing now..
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Update: Ok, I can confirm that a vanilla install of Xubuntu 9.04 + the Oolite package from 'playdeb' is broken. Will investigate further.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

And, while the same warning about "print_unique_pathlist.sh" occurs using our version of Oolite, it works and saves correctly.

MrMonday:
the following steps will install Oolite from our package sources, and as far as I can tell, it should work on your system (it did on my test system).

Step 1 - Add the Oolite package repository to your software sources:
Got to "Applications" -> "System" -> "Software Sources"
Select "Third Party Software"
Deselect the "http://archive.getdeb.net" software source if it exists
Press "Add"
Type in "deb http://debs.oolite.org/ jaunty test"
Press "Add Source"
It'll prompt you to update packages; let it.

Step 2 - Uninstall Oolite
Open up a Terminal window
Type in:

sudo dpkg --purge oolite oolite-data
It'll prompt for your password, give it.

Step 3 - Install Oolite
Now type:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oolite
MrMonday
Average
Average

Post by MrMonday »

yyyyessss..!

seems that the problem wasn't me after all..! that's conforting!
this post will maybe help other getdeb users like me..!
(anyway, getdeb/playdeb is still a great project..!)

thank you very much!

=)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Glad to be of service :)
MrMonday wrote:
(anyway, getdeb/playdeb is still a great project..!)
=)
Hmm, seems they might have a quality-control issue though - haven't had time to look further into their version of Oolite but when I find out exactly why it's broken (and whether it's endemic to this package, or specific to Xubuntu) I'll let their maintainer know.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Looks like the issue is that playdeb don't package the "oolite.app/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist" - when this file is missing, there's no version info displayed, but more importantly there's also no saving of games or the application cache.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

And the guys at playdeb are pretty quick - they've now got a fixed version online.
tenfishsticks
Poor
Poor

print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found

Post by tenfishsticks »

Hi, all.

I was so excited when I opened my new, shiny, gleaming, slick laptop. I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and that is where the problems began with my new, honking graphics card. Long story short, I got my graphics card finally working for my system. I went to run Oolite (1.73) and set it to run in fullscreen mode- which then made it crash.

Now, whenever I try to open it, it crashes after the splash screen. Running in the terminal, I get this error:

/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 291: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
dmwelch@laptop01:~$ /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 296: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/ld_lib_path.sh: 42: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/ld_lib_path.sh: 71: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 359: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh: 423: /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/print_unique_pathlist.sh: not found

So I need the print_unique_pathlist.sh, apparently. I've reinstalled both Oolite and gnustep on my machine, to no avail. Help, fair spacers! What can I do?