Ore processor bug

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Peterward
Above Average
Above Average

Ore processor bug

Post by Peterward »

I've been doing some mining using this oxp. Whenever it converts a splinter to gold/platinum/gems it doesn't adjust the payload accordingly.

My first asteroid yielded 13 splinters (counted 'em), and I ended up with 5t alloys, 5t minerals, and 3 splinters converted to a total of 2kg gold and 14 kg platinum. The F8 page reported "Load 13 of 30t".

I continued, mining another asteroid, and filled my hold with a total of 2t radioactives, 11t alloys 12t minerals, with a couple more splinters converted to gems, scooping a total of 30 splinters from the two asteroids. This gives me a 25t payload plus the precious stuff. At this point the scoop reported "cargo hold full" and the tail of the scoop icon went red. I couldn't scoop any more splinters. The F8 page reported "Load 30 of 30t"

This all gets corrected when I sell stuff at a trading post.

I've got my original Cobra Mk III with a large cargo bay and a passenger berth installed (hence 30t).

I'm running Oolite 1.73.4
[/img]
Peter
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

This is the way the Oolite inventory management system currently works.

Scooped splinters always count as 1 tonne regardless of whether the Ore Processor converts them to Minerals, Alloys, Radioactives, or various combinations of (kilo)grams of Gems, Gold, or Platinum.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

This is not only how it works, it is deliberatly this way.

The idea is that a container, or a piece of rock takes up a slot in the cargo bay. Only once you get to a place to dock can you sort it out, put valuables in the safe etc.
Peterward
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Peterward »

Fair enough. Thanks.
Peter
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Ore processor bug

Post by Eric Walch »

Peterward wrote:
I've been doing some mining using this oxp. Whenever it converts a splinter to gold/platinum/gems it doesn't adjust the payload accordingly.
That is a general oolite bug that has been there always I think. In the past it was even worse: On scooping a barrel it took one ton cargo and on awarding it took another ton.

I just checked, the command: player.ship.awardCargo("Gold", 1) adds one ton to your hold. Repeating the command adds another ton to your hold. In the past this "bug" was always explained as being the weight of the scooped barrel. With Ore-processor, you just must think of that after extracting x kg gold your hold is also filled with 1 ton of waist, remaining from the extraction. That waist is dumped on the next docking to not pollute the universe.

This is a more general Oolite bug. However, 1.74 will have a new way of cargo awarding and probably won't have this bug anymore.