lack of detail

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

bungi
Above Average
Above Average

lack of detail

Post by bungi »

I've just downloaded Oolite 1.73.4 for Mac, and started playing. No extras installed. Made it from Lave to Zaonce and docked fine, with apparently ok graphics, but having saved the game and played with some options, I'm now suffering from a total lack of any visible detail on ships or stations. I can only find either at all from the drive trails, or on the scanner. As a result I'm finding it totally impossible to dock, or engage in any combat at all, and the game is unplayable. I've tried tweaking the graphics settings, but even in wireframe I don't have any wires on ships or stations. Resetting to install defaults has not fixed it.

Any ideas? Do I need some extras installing? Is this something anyone else has seen? i can send screenshots on request.

Log is here:

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.73.4 (x86-32 test release) under Mac OS X Version 10.4.10 (Build 8R2232) at 2009-10-17 23:15:51 +0100.
Machine type: Macmini1,1, 2048 MiB memory, 2 x x86 (Core/Yonah) @ 1660 MHz.
Oolite Options: [Docking Clearance] [Wormhole Scanner] [Target Incoming Missiles]

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.2.0 ("1.2 APPLE-1.4.56")
Vendor: Intel Inc.
Renderer: Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (72):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_NV_blend_square GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod 
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: ---> OXP search paths:
(
    "/Volumes/Ext 2 Backups/downloads/Oolite (v1.73.4)/Oolite/Oolite.app/Contents/Resources", 
    "/Volumes/Ext 2 Backups/downloads/Oolite (v1.73.4)/Oolite/AddOns", 
    "/Users/robd/.Oolite/AddOns", 
    "/Users/robd/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns"
)
[dataCache.upToDate]: Data cache is up to date.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts: "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.73.4, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.73.4, "oolite-nova" 1.73.4, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.73.4, "oolite-trumbles" 1.73.4
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts: "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.73.4, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.73.4, "oolite-nova" 1.73.4, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.73.4, "oolite-trumbles" 1.73.4
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.

Closing log at 2009-10-17 23:43:57 +0100.
Settings:

bplist00ß   !"#$&)_NSNavLastRootDirectory_!NSNavPanelExpandedSizeForOpenMode_NSNavLastCurrentDirectory_1NSTableView Columns NSNavOutlineColumnSettings.v1^volume_control_display_refreshZfullscreen_shader-effects-level^save-directory_!NSWindow Frame oolite-main-window_Rob1-humbletrash_NSWindow Frame oolitehelp]display_width_7NSTableView Sort Ordering NSNavOutlineColumnSettings.v1Zmusic mode_wireframe-graphics_reduced-detail-graphics^display_heightQ~Z{520, 401}^~/oolite-saves¤ONstreamtyped
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Welcome to the board!

[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.2.0 ("1.2 APPLE-1.4.56")
Vendor: Intel Inc.
Renderer: Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine
This does look to me as if you are missing a driver for your graphics hardware and thus MacOS is using a default OpenGL renderer which is not working well. What you write sounds also very similar to the experience of people who had the same problem on Windows with missing drivers.

Please verify that you have the newest drivers for your graphics card/onboard chip installed!

Screet
bungi
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bungi »

it's a Mac, they're built in. As regards OS, it's 10.4.10 (Tiger before the Safari 3 abomination).
Here's the supported OpenGL features for 10.4.11, I can't imagine they're too different on a minor version. The Gfx card is integrated GMA950, hence the software renderer.

http://developer.apple.com/graphicsimag ... Intel.html

I'm guessing at this point that it's not due to not finding drivers, rather the found drivers being incomplete in some way.

thanks
bungi
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bungi »

ah! just reread the bit in green, it's not finding the software renderer...

Just read this:

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards ... ber=260654

which may be informative...

or not.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

bungi wrote:
ah! just reread the bit in green, it's not finding the software renderer...
Most probably the inferior hardware driver is set as default...

Maybe this does help?
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... ntry913715

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: lack of detail

Post by Eric Walch »

bungi wrote:
I've just downloaded Oolite 1.73.4 for Mac, and started playing. No extras installed. Made it from Lave to Zaonce and docked fine, with apparently ok graphics, but having saved the game and played with some options, I'm now suffering from a total lack of any visible detail on ships or stations. I can only find either at all from the drive trails, or on the scanner.
I rarely heard problems from Mac graphic cards. You don't write if you have tried setting shader to simple of off. If it is the shader setting, you probably should also report your graphic card capabilities here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

If you set your Shader Effects option to none, you should be able to see everything again. It's probably still going to be ok with Shader Effects: Simple, which is the default setting, IIRC.

In any case, it's worth reporting your card to the thread Eric just pointed at, so that we'll know in the future not to offer the more advanced shader option for systems just like yours! :)

Hope this helps.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
bungi
Above Average
Above Average

a hah!

Post by bungi »

Changing shader effects makes no difference.

I've been digging into this a bit, since it struck me as odd that the first time I ran the app it worked fine.

Apple supply a driver monitor for Open GL in Xcode, which I have installed for odds and ends. Bringing that up, and starting OOLite on a clean reboot showed the software driver running. It looks like another application had pushed the driver into the hardware mode, and a reboot was required to get it to shift back into the software mode. Lo and behold, in flight objects have returned.

Interesting quirk.

FYI opengl spec is as follows:

Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine   	
Vendor Name                   	Intel Inc.
Version                       	1.2 APPLE-1.4.56
GL Shading Language Version   	1.10
Renderer Name                 	Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Extensions             	
OpenGL Limits                 	
Display Mask                  	1 (0x00000001)
Renderer ID                   	147456 (0x00024000)
Off Screen                    	No
Full Screen                   	Yes
Hardware Accelerated          	Yes
Robust                        	No
Backing Store                 	No
MP Safe                       	Yes
Window                        	Yes
Multi Screen                  	No
Compliant                     	Yes
Buffer Modes                  	13 (0x0000000d)
Color Buffer Modes            	33792 (0x00008400)
Accum Buffer Modes            	8421376 (0x00808000)
Depth Buffer Modes            	3073 (0x00000c01)
Stencil Buffer Modes          	129 (0x00000081)
Max Aux Buffers               	2 (0x00000002)
Max Sample Buffers            	0 (0x00000000)
Max Samples                   	0 (0x00000000)
Sample Modes                  	0 (0x00000000)
Alpha Sampling                	No
Total Video Memory            	67108864 (0x04000000)
Total Texture Memory          	67108864 (0x04000000)

Apple Software Renderer       	
Vendor Name                   	Apple Computer, Inc.
Version                       	2.0 APPLE
GL Shading Language Version   	1.10
Renderer Name                 	Apple Software Renderer
OpenGL Extensions             	
OpenGL Limits                 	
Display Mask                  	1 (0x00000001)
Renderer ID                   	132096 (0x00020400)
Off Screen                    	Yes
Full Screen                   	No
Hardware Accelerated          	No
Robust                        	Yes
Backing Store                 	Yes
MP Safe                       	Yes
Window                        	Yes
Multi Screen                  	Yes
Compliant                     	Yes
Buffer Modes                  	13 (0x0000000d)
Color Buffer Modes            	201375744 (0x0c00c000)
Accum Buffer Modes            	142639104 (0x08808000)
Depth Buffer Modes            	4096 (0x00001000)
Stencil Buffer Modes          	129 (0x00000081)
Max Aux Buffers               	4 (0x00000004)
Max Sample Buffers            	1 (0x00000001)
Max Samples                   	16 (0x00000010)
Sample Modes                  	3 (0x00000003)
Alpha Sampling                	Yes
Total Video Memory            	0 (0x00000000)
Total Texture Memory          	0 (0x00000000)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Very interesting quirk indeed. Hopefully we'll figure out how to switch renderer without restarts.

But at least we now know a way to make Oolite playable again if something like that happens to other people.
Thanks for letting us know! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I have no idea why you’d want the software renderer. Oolite works with OpenGL 1.2, and works fine on a GMA 950. (And the renderer string is correct; please ignore everything Screet said in this thread – nothing personal, Screet.)
bungi
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bungi »

Update.

Yes it works, however it seems a touch twitchy. I can make the vanishing textures reproducible now by pushing the shading up to full, though it takes a reboot to get them back. I'm running normally under simple but I've found at least one quirk...

For example if I install the DW Cobra OXP, then I am ok in my ship, ok with a combat with 1 other cobra mk 3, but if I get 2 in a combat the frame rate drops from ~130 fps to 13. Since every combat I seem to get into nowadays has at least 2 mk 3s, I've uninstalled that OXP and I'm back to a vanilla install. I assume there is something about the textures in the DW Cobra that is overtaxing the graphics drastically, and therefore something quite suddenly goes wrong. If I kill one of the cobras, the frame rate magically leaps back up.

So, if Screet is wrong, why am I seeing either disappearing shading, or a sudden drop/leap in frame rate? I presume that it is not as simple as the GMA supports OpenGL 1.2 and therefore it works. Nor is it as simple as the machine is not powerful enough or I would expect to see a gradual drop in framerate as there are more objects in a battle, or I would perhaps expect it to slow when I'm doing background tasks which are CPU intensive, depending on the renderer in use. I don't see either, the framerate is staying pretty consistently high except as above.

I'd like to understand more, since I have every intention of sticking with this game for a long time, and I'm interested in the OXPs, and maybe if I understand the variables here I can optimise this system, and maybe look at getting something more tailored to Oolite when I replace it.

thanks