PS3 and Oolite

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I dont think anyone here hates you. I still dont understand why you hate the wii, but I dont hate you for it.

The thing is, you made some pretty silly statements about the wii, describing one of the most revolutionary, and intuitive control interfaces ever as
absolute bag of hurt
, and that the machine would not be up to drawing oolite. You cant say something like that, and then wonder why people tell you that you are wrong :p

I have no doubt that a PS3 (or even probably a PS1 ;) ) xbox 360 or wii could play a decent oolite. The reasons we probably wont see versions for them are simple. Who will do the porting? Licensing, compilers, libraries, distribution problems are all issues, but at root there is a mismatch between effort and desire.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

The control interface may be intuitive for golf, but it isn't intuitive for flying a spaceship. I think that also the graphics demo you showed us was produced by an expert team of professionals (not saying our developers are unskilled) probably working on this as a full time job for a year. Comparing that to a wii oolite would be like comparing regular oolite to crysis or call of duty 4. If you devs think you have the time and resources to do something like that, then by all means do so. But I think that, as well as that, Wiilite would need some compelling features to make up for it's cons.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Developing a beautiful game on wii should be not significantly harder than doing so on an xbox or ps3. As I have said repeatedly, none of the dev team seem interested in doing any of them.

I disagree on the controller point. It is the most intuitive FPS controller I have ever used. Not as accurate as wsad/moue, but by far the most "real" feeling. It is also pretty good for arcade flightsims such as blazing angels.

I dont see why its any less good for oolite than any other console controller. And if required you can use a traditional controller.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

My previous post doesn't necessarily have to apply to the wii, it can pretty much apply to consoles in general: hard to program, why bother, and the controller (ithink) is unsuited for oolite.
On another note, what wii games use the wiimote for a flightsim? any others beside blazing angels?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Depends a bit what you counts a flight sim.

Twin Strike, Wing Island, parts of Lego Star Wars, Heatseeker. Also, I think HAWX and Combat Wings have been announced, and I presume will use similar controls.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

hehe lego starwars.. great game, but I've only played it for mac.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

you can attach just about any kind of control interface to the Wii remote...

and in regard to this...

if you hate the Wii , you are really going to hate this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTtlM0v7iLs

:mrgreen:
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

No I actually have no problem with that, because the 360 also has a normal controller, good graphics, and games like COD.

Now the people who kick holes in their tvs.... they'll be mad

How does natal even work? Is it a camera interface of somesuch?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

wackyman465 wrote:
No I actually have no problem with that, because the 360 also has a normal controller, good graphics, and games like COD.

Now the people who kick holes in their tvs.... they'll be mad

How does natal even work? Is it a camera interface of somesuch?
Odd, because The Wii can have a normal controller (although this will limit the games you can play on it), we've proved here it does have good graphics (capability) and I've played COD (3) on the wii and it's very 'interactive' and the graphics were just fine. ( eghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3oa8ctbVYA&NR=1)

Yeh, and despite the revolutionary claim Natal is not so different from the camera scanning technology seen already in the EyeToy for the PS.

Funny really how an old man like me has grasped the concept behind the Wii and you have not.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Cmdr James wrote:
there is a mismatch between effort and desire.
Hee hee. That's going in my project management top 10 phrases.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Well in all seriousness, I'd rather be playing COD6 on two nvidia gtx 300's in SLI and an intel i7 amd phenom 3 than the wii, but I don't have $3k burning a hole in my pocket and it's not 2015 yet. I don't quite get consoles in general.. Ya know? Why bother with something that is pretty limited in games and how you can upgrade it and what you can do with it when you could just cut straight to the heart of the matter and build a pc that, although it costs maybe $700 more, provides significantly more power and usefulness, ya know?[/s]
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

wackyman465 wrote:
Well in all seriousness, I'd rather be playing COD6 on two nvidia gtx 300's in SLI and an intel i7 amd phenom 3 than the wii, but I don't have $3k burning a hole in my pocket and it's not 2015 yet. I don't quite get consoles in general.. Ya know? Why bother with something that is pretty limited in games and how you can upgrade it and what you can do with it when you could just cut straight to the heart of the matter and build a pc that, although it costs maybe $700 more, provides significantly more power and usefulness, ya know?[/s]
Right up until the Wii came out I'd have agreed with you, but as an old man with a 7yr old and 2yr old daughter I wanted something we could all play on, that just plugged into the TV, was quiet, unobtrusive and low power and just worked and had a nice simple controller system and the style of games that are genuinely fun for all the family (and fairly cheap and lots of 2nd hand games are cheap too) - the Wii met all of those criteria - sadly Wacky I've been building PCs since before you were born and while it's 'fun' it's not so cheap any more and with the aforementioned kids vying for my time I don't have the temporal resources any more.
Selezen wrote:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It used to be that you had a NES (for example) all units were identical, no firmware updates, no online updates, no different sized disks, no nothing. No viruses either, and most games were pick up and play, you didnt need 6 weeks to learn the controls. It just worked. In those days consoles were true gaming appliances. And PCs in all honesty were not great gaming platforms.

In the PC world there were compatability lists, tweaking instructions, EMM386, a hundred and one graphics and sound card manufacturers who not only needed different drivers, but typically needed direct support in game -- I remember starting Doom (I think it was doom) and selecting soundblaster compatible, and hoping that it would work, it didnt.

These days it is different, game consoles want to be multimedia, web-browsers, online updating, multiple version, who sir like the gold edition, or the ultimate, if you want backward compatability then you need to check the SKU... complexity and variation turned up to 11.

With convergence of the console and the PC, I think we are getting to a question almost of form factor. Do you want a low profile device to conect to your TV, a laptop, or a desktop?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Actually that's true - the first time the CD slot on the Wii started to flash one night came as a bit of a surprise - until turning it 'ON' and changing the AV to its input it pointed out it wanted to download an update via the wireless...
Selezen wrote:
ua!IV
Harmless
Harmless

Post by ua!IV »

wackyman465 wrote:
because nobody wants a wii version of this game
Go to youtube and search elite 4 game.
the Wii's graphics are terrible.
Would you mind posting a link to that youtube video, i'd love to see it.
All I could find was about the Elite Four in Pokemon.

Not quite the same ...