Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Graphics Corruption

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

David McMahon
Above Average
Above Average

Graphics Corruption

Post by David McMahon »

Hello Just tried to run the latest version on my PC and got corrupted!

My PC is a HP DC7100 (Tower)

with a Nivdia 7600 GPU running 2x 1280x1024 17" panels (thinking that might be the issue

Basically the game runs and is stable but looks like this

Image[/img]
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Update the Graphics Driver.
David McMahon
Above Average
Above Average

Post by David McMahon »

Downloading as I type :) Will keep you posted, is it a good idea to reinstall the game?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

David McMahon wrote:
Downloading as I type :) Will keep you posted, is it a good idea to reinstall the game?
Should not be necessary!

Screet
David McMahon
Above Average
Above Average

Post by David McMahon »

Fixed Thank you now runing Nvidia 191.07
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Don't worry about dual screen - if you search back through the Screenshots thread you'll find I've posted shots of Oolite running on a i7 920 , GX285 and a Matrox Triple Head to Go - 3840x1024 of glorious Oolite magic...

Glad the driver fix worked - and, as others have stated, welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat(tm)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
nrubdarb
Average
Average

Post by nrubdarb »

Hello! I have this exact same problem – using a laptop with in-built ATI graphics. The chipset is an Xpress and has the latest drivers (they don't release for Xpress cards any more).

I'll try the stable version, since I guess my laptop card is too old for the new test version?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Are you sure your drivers are correctly installed? Can you post the contents of Latest.log so that we can see what graphics system the game actually "sees"?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

nrubdarb wrote:
Hello! I have this exact same problem – using a laptop with in-built ATI graphics. The chipset is an Xpress and has the latest drivers (they don't release for Xpress cards any more).

I'll try the stable version, since I guess my laptop card is too old for the new test version?
Is it REALLY the newest? ATI does list several legacy drivers and there recently was an update for new cards which somehow fell into the legacy hole...and there are several xpress drivers under Integrated/Motherboard without naming them legacy drivers.

Screet
nrubdarb
Average
Average

Post by nrubdarb »

Hi folks – wow, this must be a record for support on a forum :=)

Here is my latest.log:

Code: Select all

log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.73.4 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2009-10-19 18:15:51 +0200.
2 processors detected.
Oolite Options: [Procedural Planets] [Docking Clearance] [Wormhole Scanner] [Target Incoming Missiles]

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 1024
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.1.0 ("1.1.0")
Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
Renderer: GDI Generic
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (3):
GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: ---> OXP search paths:
(Resources, ../AddOns)
[dataCache.upToDate]: Data cache is up to date.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts: "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.73.4, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.73.4, "oolite-nova" 1.73.4, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.73.4, "oolite-trumbles" 1.73.4
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2009-10-19 18:16:00 +0200.
As regards graphics, I downloaded the package from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... ng=English.

On downloading and running, the installation quit with "No cards recognised."

So, other than choosing some other card, I'm not sure what the answer might be. ..
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You are either running incorrect drivers, or the ones you have are not correctly installed, or simply your card is not 3D accelerated. Oolite is falling back to the software renderer and this why you cannot run the game.

You will need to be absolutely sure that the drivers you have are the right ones for your card, then install them again. At this point your computer does not have OpenGL support.
nrubdarb
Average
Average

Post by nrubdarb »

Hi,

Yes, after checking forums it seems the Xpress 1150 has all kinds of driver problems, especially as regards OpenGL.

I'll root around a bit, but, as said, I'm building a new system in a couple of weeks, so it can wait.

Cheers,

Ed
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

nrubdarb wrote:
As regards graphics, I downloaded the package from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... ng=English.
Hmmm. I did select Win XP and did end up with this one:
http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownload/w ... ng=English

It's got driver rev. 9.8 - and since the 9.6 ones ATI did fix OpenGL for many cards! Thus, maybe you should give it a try ;)

Screet
nrubdarb
Average
Average

Post by nrubdarb »

This gets more and more interesting.

I removed ALL my ATI drivers (going back to "that boot screen" in XP, where everything is about 640 x 480).

This rolled me back to ATI driver Version 8.251.0.0 (presumably the stock driver that came with the laptop and which XP has somewhere on the system – it's the same as the HP default driver here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... 1093#11360.

The test version doesn't work, but now the stable version works :=)

Try as I might, I can't get the ATI updaters to recognise my card – the update quits with "No cards found", so it looks as though I am stuck with stable for now. (I assume the HP ATI card is slightly different and the modern Catalyst installers can no longer identify its "ID" or whatever.)

But that's miles better than nothing :=)
Last edited by nrubdarb on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

nrubdarb wrote:
The test version doesn't work, but now the stable version works :=)
Probably the shaders of the test version - those can be switched off!
nrubdarb wrote:
Try as I might, I can't get the ATI updaters to recognise my card – the update quits with "No cards found", so it looks as though I am stuck with stable for now.
Hmmm. Have you tried the Omega drivers? They did not help me when I had ATI trouble, but I've heard from a couple of people that they solved their problem.

Screet