Tionisla Orbital Graveyard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

:) yes those pics are good.
not by me though. I know for a fact A_H did the Mjølnir, and probably the cool ancient ships.

I just did the Moai and the Ommdisk. they're dat'ed and in the files.

A_H might need to get prised away from the "studies" in order to follow up the last phase.

on the fig8AI, we were doing some experiments, but we never made it all the way. I'll try to fulfill that task :oops:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Nice one. Just out of interest for anyone that downloaded the OXP before 5:35 today, I noted a bug in the shipdata file that threw out the object loader. The file is now fixed.

Rik, Arnoud, Murgh, the version on the group should be considered as a new benchmark. All versions will come from this one as of today.

I may need to tweak the planetinfo.plist file and spread the yard over a larger area - the shape seems to have been lost somewhere. Also, the beacons are not in the configuration I drew them to be, and the station is in the wrong place.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

sorry guys, I can't do the resizing, I'm not used to the program and have no 3 button mouse, for starters. A_H did ALL the modeling, all praise should go to him, the only stuff i did, was taking his designs and ad plists etc to 'playtest' them to point out possible errors, etc.... (he couldn't do that ATM, so he made models w/o seeing them in the Oolite engine, impressive feat!)

Maybe someone with basic Wings experience can do the re-sizing... I think A_H is really busy now.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

I don't mind doing some simple resizing in Wings if it needs be done and the authors are unable. Wings and I are finally friends :D

Selezen, my first journey to TGY led me to the designated Dodo, but disappointingly, nothing else. Console writes this:

Code: Select all

2005-10-06 18:12:26.194 Oolite[6048] ***** CANNOT addShipsAt: 'grave_beacon 1 psm 0 -1200 209000' (should be addShipsAt: role number coordinate_system x y z)
2005-10-06 18:12:26.200 Oolite[6048] ***** CANNOT addShipsAt: 'grave_beacon 1 psm 0 1200 209000' (should be addShipsAt: role number coordinate_system x y z)
2005-10-06 18:12:26.207 Oolite[6048] ***** CANNOT addShipsAt: 'grave_beacon 1 psm 0 -2800 210600' (should be addShipsAt: role number coordinate_system x y z)
etc.. [long list]
just got home and haven't looked under the hood yet, but this is what I got.
could it mean it objects to the word "psm" or is that the designated "coordinate_system"?
or is this the abovementioned error that you've already fixed?

guess I'll find out when yahoo lifts its 'ban due to excessive downloading".. :?
Last edited by Murgh on Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Kee-rap!

downloadlimit exceeded at the Tgraveyard group...

IMHO Yahoo is waaay too stingy with their allocations... :evil:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

TGY is now available for download from my site:

http://www.hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/ ... gy_dev.zip

Seeing as TionislaGY just cannae take the pressure, captain.
Last edited by Selezen on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

denies me access.

Oh well, have to hit the sack quite badly anyhowwwwzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

it doesn't work for me :(
this is still Console report:

2005-10-07 01:34:37.689 Oolite[6643] ERROR ***** could not parse /Applications/Games/Oolite/AddOns/tgy_dev.oxp/Config/shipdata.plist as a NSDictionary.

and

2005-10-07 01:35:20.968 Oolite[6643] ***** CANNOT addShipsAt: 'grave_beacon 1 psm 0 -1200 209000' (should be addShipsAt: role number coordinate_system x y z)
2005-10-07 01:35:20.974 Oolite[6643] ***** CANNOTetc..
Terminal reports that the error in the shipdata is due to:

Old-style plist parser error:
        Malformed data byte group at line 376; invalid hex
because the shipdata is in ASCII(yes?), I wouldn't know what to do except change it all to XML and then see what terminal tells me..

[edit]
which I eventually did and now it works fine. here is the amended shipdata.plist if you want to switch.

the graveyard site is a weird experience. as of now the derilict adders don't skin as planned (similar case as the IC, Selezen) and there's hundreds of them. the lights as well are *everywhere*, so the whoile enjoyment of 280 objects takes me down to 4 fps :x
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

BTW....

The huge monuments were intentional, IIRC... In Dark wheel they were even bigger, but of course, with the Oolite engine one might argue things should be a bit smaller, what with non-astronomical distances sun-planet etc.

The idea was to use some huge monuments, and more 'generic' but smaller ones. the Huge ones would all have their own special plists, with things as messageing, names showing up on your scanner (names from developers, Jameson etc....)

'bout the 4fps, do you get that from the start, of only when going through the yard?
If this is from the start, the objects are really too close toghether, chocking the collision-detection engine... That'd be bad news...

'bout the figure of 8... how urgent is that?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Murgh wrote:
here is the amended shipdata.plist if you want to switch.
Can't download it - can't find the file.
Murgh wrote:
the graveyard site is a weird experience. as of now the derilict adders don't skin as planned (similar case as the IC, Selezen) and there's hundreds of them. the lights as well are *everywhere*, so the whoile enjoyment of 280 objects takes me down to 4 fps :x
There are about 140 Adders altogether - forgot about that whole skinning thing, will sort that in the next update. Check out the OOlite area on hughesd.co.uk/elite for updates.

The lights are leftover flashers from wnen I was using witchspace beacons as graves - I just modified the shipdata stuff for it and forgot to remove the flashers. Shame it slows down so much, I think they look pretty cool!
Rxke wrote:
The huge monuments were intentional, IIRC... In Dark wheel they were even bigger, but of course, with the Oolite engine one might argue things should be a bit smaller, what with non-astronomical distances sun-planet etc.

The idea was to use some huge monuments, and more 'generic' but smaller ones. the Huge ones would all have their own special plists, with things as messageing, names showing up on your scanner (names from developers, Jameson etc....)
Well, at the moment the monuments I mentioned were nearly as big as the Dodo and the beacons!! Big monuments I would envision as being about as big as an Anaconda, and small ones about the size of an Adder or a Krait. Nothing should be as big as the station, and very few should be as big as the beacons (the correct sized ones are about 300 units in diameter)
Rxke wrote:
If this is from the start, the objects are really too close toghether, chocking the collision-detection engine... That'd be bad news...
As I think I said in the announcement, the yard's spacing needs some work, as things are a bit close together.
Rxke wrote:
'bout the figure of 8... how urgent is that?
Fairly urgent - it would be nice to have something flying around in the yard. I also need to test the patrol ships' AI for an attack on the GY, now that most of the static models are done.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hmmm. Patrol ships reaction on an attack wouldn't be the hard part.

....or would they.... Come to think of it, is the going to offender status when shooting certain stuff hardcoded or is it scriptable?.... I'm afraid it's hardcoded.... Ideally would be a setup that, when you even scratch a tomb, your legal status goes to fugitive immediately... But how... You could give it the role of a beacon, with modded AI...

Anyhoo, the figure of 8 implement will only be possible when the placing of objects is semi-final, no? you'd have to 'hardwire' the patrollers flying in a sequence of 'go to xyz, x1y1z1,... ... x,y,z' those points being rough waypoints in a figure of 8... And give them a GalCop-style AI kicking in when fugitives are near...

Pretty hard to test (read: time consuming) i think.... esp. at 4fps, heehee..
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well, i'm working on spacing things out a bit at the moment. Also, have you noticed that the orientation of the objects is out by 90 degrees? When you look along the plane of the yard, every ship is pointing 'upwards' and all the beacons are on thier sides. even the station is 90 degrees out.

I may have to change the plane of the yard by 90 degrees, for a quick fix.

I just realised that I haven't added the lancets to the planetinfo file.

i might break the oxp down to components parts for upload at some point too. a 4.5MB file is a bit much for people to download (and my bandwidth wil get hammered!), and it will make it easier for posting updates.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

If you need storage space and uber bandwidth, I can set something up so you can use ftp.alioth.net (or rsync.alioth.net - rsync will certainly help during the development as you won't have to download the whole thing each time - but rsync works better not using an archive like a zip file, for rsync updating, it's best to put the unpacked OXP on the rsync server).
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

That would be cool if you could do that, Dylan. Thanks!

Does this mean I have to be nice to Break on EBBS now? :wink: