Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Renegade Frigates?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

virgopunk
Above Average
Above Average

Renegade Frigates?

Post by virgopunk »

I ran into one of these Fugitive beasts in some anarchic system I've since blotted out from my memory stacks.

Where do they come from? Are they part of the Gal Nav OXP? It made short shrift of me after I 'accidentally' shot at it. :oops:
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"You ask a glass of water!"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Are you using the OSE test version?

Then they could be from there. They have huge bounties - can be a few thousand creds - but they are also huge, mean, bad-ass, near-indistructible shredding machines :twisted:
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Are you using the OSE test version?

Then they could be from there. They have huge bounties - can be a few thousand creds - but they are also huge, mean, bad-ass, near-indistructible shredding machines :twisted:
I suggest quirium weaponry for such beasts. It can be profitable...but somewhat dangerous to shoot them down.

The same applies for other large pirate ships. Some cannot be shot down with lasers. Quirium Cascade stops them but may require some tricky approach on injectors because these weapons are otherwise having trouble to hit.

Screet
virgopunk
Above Average
Above Average

Post by virgopunk »

I must admit I wasn't expecting to run into one so unfortunately left my Q Bomb in my other pants. I won't get caught out like that again!

I'm using the lastest version (1.73?)
"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"You ask a glass of water!"
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I think the renegade frigates come from the Galactic Navy OXP. Certainly they are standard fare for navy missions versus pirate fleets. There is almost always one frigate present then.

I very rarely see pirate frigates at other times, but generally I consider them an easy target. Easy to snipe at range and not very fast. Generally a full burst of front mil laser and then rear mil laser is enough to blast them to atoms.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

What Sendraks said.

They're packing a lot of fairly heavy turrets, so taking them on at close range isn't the smartest thing to do. Those same turrets also makes a torpedo attack difficult. However they're lacking long-range weapons besides missiles, so a long-range snipefest is the best way to deal with them.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
However they're lacking long-range weapons besides missiles, so a long-range snipefest is the best way to deal with them.
Oh, I recently did encounter one which did have forward lasers, and it also appeared to be tougher than usually :twisted:

Screet
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
However they're lacking long-range weapons besides missiles, so a long-range snipefest is the best way to deal with them.
They have a lot of missiles and they are usually ECM hardened. I don't think it is quite as many missiles as a rogue system platform, but it is still a lot. So some evasive flying may be called for.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ah yes but the rogue system platform doesn't move much, plus there should be at least one police around to help you, and once it gets angry then the main station should loose out more to help out.

If you keep out of the way you get to just watch some fireworks... ;)
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Agree, the system platform fights are more about evasion than anything else.

But I'm not a "watch the fireworks" kind of guy, unless I get to be the one lighting them.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Oh you're more than welcome to go help out, and the platforms have a fair bounty when they go rogue. But you do have to earn it, and they aren't easy kills.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Oh I've learned from bitter experience the first one I fought.

"My thats a lot of missiles."

"Ah, they're hardened against ECM, ok I'll avoid them in a minute."

"Uh oh, that platform hits pretty hard, I'd best get out of range and rethink my strategy."

"Oh crap, he knocked out my fuel injector."

"Where are the missiles again....."

Sadly at this point, I wasn't bright enough to just press shift+d and avoid the problem. I wish I'd taken a screenshot of all those missiles smashing into my Wolf MkII, it did look impressive.