Hello from newbie/infrequent board-reader.

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Hello from newbie/infrequent board-reader.

Post by Obsidian »

Ummm... hello. :D

Just wanted my first post to not be the bevy of questions that my second post will be. :wink:

Oh, and obviously (since i'm playing oolite and reading the boards) i am impressed by everything the devs of the game and oxp's have created and shared. Thank you.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

You're welcome :P :D

Haha, go thank the others like Kaks and Thargoid, they make good OXPs. As well as all the other commanders ie:LittleBear etc. (Sorry if I missed you out. Type in the comment or PM me :P )

Me? I'm still trying to create a sleek ship and texture it, help needed in the texturing.

Hey Obsidian, why don't you get Wings3d and start modeling your own ships!
Shooting polygons since 2001
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

My thanking is my playing, so to speak, as is my actual thanking...

Having modded some games in the past for personal use, I'm anxious to avoid going down that time-consuming path too soon. Besides, I want to get a good vibe for game play and for what OXPs are already availible. As I've related elsewhere (hah!, as this is my third post, elsewhere would be my second :lol: ), I've gone pretty basic on initial OXPs, planning to add more, especially missions, after I "do the eight", although the tedium of my cargo contracts runs might break me sooner than that --- I kill clean traders that inhibit my jump drive; it's terrible, don't even want their cargo, but once it's there I have to scoop it up too. (Sobs! Ebeneezer Scrooge in a Boa 2! Sobs!)

Thanks for the greet and advice Cmd. Learner; you can help assuage any of my future pestering until I go silent after I find the right OXP mix.

:lol: I just noticed I misquoted the line in my signature. :lol: Now I have to go figure out how to fix it. See, I'm at least some distance from building ships at the moment.

Obsidian.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

The lone trader inhibiting your jump drive is a great temptation to many a commander.

The invention of witchspace injectors has saved countless innocent lives.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi Obsidian, and first of all welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D
Obsidian wrote:
I've gone pretty basic on initial OXPs, planning to add more, especially missions, after I "do the eight",
You might want to do some of the "beginners" missions in Galaxy 1 before "doing the eight", because they are pretty easy and might feel too easy if you only do them after "surviving the eight".

I am especially thinking of "The Long Way Around", "The Scourge of the Black Baron", and "Spyhunter".
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Hi, Commander Obsidian!

Do you find travelling the distances between stations can become tedious, uninteresting or plain dull?
Do feel the pangs of Isolation Sickness more and more frequently?
Do you yearn for someone or something to help alleviate the clawing needles in your mind that sometimes urge you to take a space walk without your EVA suit?

If you answered 'Yes' to any of these questions, Hesperus Intergalactic Animal Trade and Unified Services (HIATUS) has the solution:

THE TRUMBLE!!!!!

Yes Commander Obsidian, YOU have been preselected by our system to have the very good chance of acquiring one of these cute, lovable and friendly little companions to help wile away the boredom of in-system travel.
  • Marvel at the Trumble's remarkable song, scientifically proved to reduce Pilot Stress Syndrome by 60%†.
  • Be amused by the Trumble's ability to escape from almost all storage containers within minutes.
  • Find joy in the Trumble's skill at concealing itself within the innermost workings of your vessel.
  • Be content that when you touch down in the space station, no major life support systems in your vessel have been compromised, disabled or eaten††.
So for your chance to obtain one of these remarkable cute and fluffy companions, send Cr30 NOW to:

Hesperus Enterprises,
P.O. Box 12
Lave High Orbital 1.

†Tests conducted by Hesperus Research Institute on a test group of five Commanders.
††Not a guarantee. Any damage to vital life support, combat or flight control systems within the owner's vessel is entirely the responsibility of the owner. Hesperus Intergalactic Animal Trade and Unified Services accepts no responsibility for any loss of life, liberty, cargo or vessels as the direct result of purchasing, owning or caring for Trumbles. Any complaints maybe directed to the above P.O. Box where they will be opened and added to Captain Hesperus' litter tray as additional packing. No correspondence will be entered into and direct enquiries may be answered by Molecular Laser or Ingram Military Laser, dependant on the nature or circumstances of the enquiry.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Smashing grand tradesmanship there, ol' furface.

Do tell, does it ever work? It must every once in a while, you keep making a go at it.

(Gotta admire Hesperus' persistence. A real diehard, that one.)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Just wait 'til he starts sending out free samples, and charges you weekly as he sends out other ones (256 varieties, collect the set!) and requires you to fill out vast amounts of paperwork that may or ma not get back to his attention, in order to stop receiving them.
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Captain Hesperus

pmw57 wrote:
Just wait 'til he starts sending out free samples, and charges you weekly as he sends out other ones (256 varieties, collect the set!) and requires you to fill out vast amounts of paperwork that may or ma not get back to his attention, in order to stop receiving them.
:twisted:

Would you ever consider a job within HIATUS?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Would you ever consider a job within HIATUS?
Will I work for commission?
-- Paul Wilkins
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Samples are free.

Removal of the samples' offspring is where "da real money is made". 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

CptnEcho wrote:
Samples are free.

Removal of the samples' offspring is where "da real money is made". 8)
All the tribbles I can eat and an unending quantity of, err - saleable items. What can go wrong?!
-- Paul Wilkins
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

You'll find out.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Captain Hesperus

CptnEcho wrote:
You'll find out.
Quiet you!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!