Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Converting wings3D files to Oolite DAT files in WIndows XP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ferret
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Converting wings3D files to Oolite DAT files in WIndows XP

Post by Ferret »

Hello all
My first time ever on a forum :) I am hoping that someone can help me.

I am using Windows XP. I have followed the tutorial on creating a "flying brick" using the Wings3D program, which is great. But I can't make the DAT file for use in Oolite under windows XP.

Thank you all who read this and I hope that someone will be able to help me :)

Its nice to be able to play Elite again after so many years.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

In Wings, export the model to Wavefront (OBJ) format.

Obtain the obj2dattex.py file from the tutorials.

Obtain and install a copy of the Python programming language. I think the website for it is www.python.org. Google it if that's not right.

Copy the obj2dattex.py file and your exported OBJ and MTL files into the Python program folder (usually C:\Python25).

Open a command window (Start>run, then type CMD and press enter).

Type cd\python25 and press Enter.

Type 'obj2dattex.py modelname.obj' and press enter, replacing the word "modelname" with the name of your model. This will create a dat file in the same folder with the same name as your source model.

Job done!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

As usual an excellent answer, is this a candidate for a sticky or a FAQ?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Not necessarily.

Ferret wrote that he was following Giles' tutorial on creating a "flying brick". This tutorial actually includes the very step he was asking for here, it's called "Converting to Oolite" and it's (of course) the last step in the tutorial. And as Giles is a friendly tutor, he has even prepared a downloadable ZIP, containing all the files used in the tutorial, also the needed DropObj2DatTex, and linked it twice, at the very top and at the very bottom of the tutorial.

So, in theory, everybody who goes through the tutorial should already be there. The answer in a FAQ could basically say nothing else than "Read the tutorial you're just reading. Read it!"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
The answer in a FAQ could basically say nothing else than "Read the tutorial you're just reading. Read it!"
Well That's it then.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
Not necessarily.

Ferret wrote that he was following Giles' tutorial on creating a "flying brick". This tutorial actually includes the very step he was asking for here, it's called "Converting to Oolite" and it's (of course) the last step in the tutorial. And as Giles is a friendly tutor, he has even prepared a downloadable ZIP, containing all the files used in the tutorial, also the needed DropObj2DatTex, and linked it twice, at the very top and at the very bottom of the tutorial.
The problem here would be that DropObj2DatTex is only directly usable under Mac OS X. However, it’s a wrapper around a Python script that can run anywhere.

I almost wrote “I really should update the tutorial to reflect this”, but actually, what should happen is that someone (other than me) should copy the tutorials to the wiki, at which point I’ll change the web site to link to them.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

in my case the python scripts produced an error when i ran it, being a bit of a hobby programmer i fixed it...

for solution to this, look here

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3474
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Ferret
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Ferret »

Hello

I would like to thank you all for your help.

I where I went wrong was that the tutorial was great to follow and it told you where to download Wings3D and the files to make the DAT files but did not say anything about the Python programming language which was needed.

Perhaps a mention could be added to the tutorial.

Thanks again to all who answered my question.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

What about Linux? Can´t do it too. :(
Shooting polygons since 2001
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander Learner: In cases like this, it's best if you create a new thread instead of resurrecting an inactive one. It can be very confusing reading through something that went on so long in the past, feeling that "something is wrong" and then noticing that the response before the last is like two or three years old.