Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Help Me Hack Please

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Help Me Hack Please

Post by Hemlock »

Like any young Jamison I'd like to try to fly some of the more expensive ships but lack the funds. I tried to hack my save file:

changing:

<key>credits</key>
<integer>12338462</integer>

to:

<key>credits</key>
<integer>52338462</integer>

Then saving the changed file as Jamison.oolite.save.

But the new amended save file does not appear. I have used the brick on the shift button method and I am using Edit Pad lite which I have used before on Python aps...Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

H
Commander Hemlock
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I saw the topic Title and thought we had another bot-spammer for a minute..

Try saving your edited file as Jameson.oolite-save and see if that helps... :wink: note that there is a small but important difference....
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

My bad.....

That was what I used - sorry for the confusion.

Jamison.oolite-save

It still does not work...... :(
Commander Hemlock
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The obvious question: Which software have you used to edit the save-file?

If it happened to be Notepad, then it's too bad. Congratulations: You have officially smashed your save-file. :evil:

I just quote what the good Commander Commodore Kaks had to say over here wholesale:
Kaks wrote:
Welcome to the boards! (The friendliest this side of Riedquat, apparently)

You probably edited your save game with window's notepad.
As I said a few million times already, notepad is evil:

It adds hidden characters to a file, and when saved it also adds a .txt extension to the file - which in most systems is actually hidden too from the user.

How to undo the damage: remove all the hidden characters, which prevent Oolite from reading the save game properly, and make sure the save game is called commanderName.save-game as opposed to commanderName.save-game.txt

To remove the hidden characters you should use a proper text editor, like the free notepad++ (available from sourceforge, google for it)

If memory serves me well, you need to change every single hidden extra return character at the end of each line. Change the view options inside notepad++ so you can see the hidden characters...

Hope this helps.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hmm.. then I would be inclined to suspect your text editor. It may be adding unwanted line-feeds to the file, which you won't see.. from what I recall, this tends to affect gamesaves more than OXP plists..

Notepad++ has a nice option under the Format menu called "Convert to UNIX Format". If Edit Pad lite has something similar, try running that command on the file and re-save..

If it doesn't, I'd recommend you download Notepad++ and use it to do the above conversion..

(Note that the conversion mentioned above will automatically do the same thing that Kaks says to do manually)
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Commander McLane wrote:
If it happened to be Notepad, then it's too bad. Congratulations: You have officially smashed your save-file.
There is a rather bizarre trick to get something back, sometimes, from notepad contamination. If you happen to have windows mail.

Open a new mail. Copy & paste the offending savegame's contents into the text part. Now highlight the whole text and tell windows mail to make it "only text".

Put the changed text into something like htmleditor or texteditor. Save it.

It might just work again.

:idea:

L
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lestradae wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
If it happened to be Notepad, then it's too bad. Congratulations: You have officially smashed your save-file.
There is a rather bizarre trick to get something back, sometimes, from notepad contamination. If you happen to have windows mail.

Open a new mail. Copy & paste the offending savegame's contents into the text part. Now highlight the whole text and tell windows mail to make it "only text".

Put the changed text into something like htmleditor or texteditor. Save it.

It might just work again.

:idea:

L
Hi L, but there is no need for this procedure.. just open in Notepad++, go to the Format menu, select "Convert to UNIX Format", and re-save the file... problem solved.. 8)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I never got the notepad problem ... I use HTML editor. So perhaps my "solution" is a bit more complicated than nescessary :oops:

What Diziet Sma says, then 8)
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Thankfully I made a back up of my original save file...so my Jamison is safely ensconced in his Mosquito Trader :)

I will now track down notepad ++ and see what happens.

Thanks Guys

H
Commander Hemlock
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

if you manage to do the thing again, here is the way i got out of it:

[/url]https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=[/url]
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

Well it worked thanks guys.

Notepad ++ is my friend

I just had to try out that Caddy Omega....but somehow it doesn't seem the same..having ripped off the Galactic Bank....so I turned myself in and paid my fine and they let me off with a warning and gave me the keys to my old Mosquito....

Thanks again

H
Commander Hemlock
scaseman
Competent
Competent

Post by scaseman »

Well I must be lucky as I have used windows notepad to edit my save file with no noticeable negative effects. I am runing Vista 64 bit.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

scaseman wrote:
Well I must be lucky as I have used windows notepad to edit my save file with no noticeable negative effects. I am runing Vista 64 bit.
I think Word wrap is the killer - if this is left off - you stand a 50:50 chance of notepad not screwing up the file.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

For the record; I started YET ANOTHER savegame (this time it will be a SERIES of archived savegames after certain milestones have been reached)... this series will be "vanilla" with no OXPs (until at least after all native missions are done)... I have a fully equipped Cobra Mk III, all equipment to include Military Shield Enhancement...
(EDIT: Less mission-specific equipment)

and 2910.0 Cr...

... without hacking ...

2084128:22:59:10 (Start Date = 2084004, 124 days in space)

(and it could have been a LITTLE sooner if I had optimized my trading routes).
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!