Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can't install any OXP's

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Skii
Average
Average

Can't install any OXP's

Post by Skii »

Hi all - bit confused here - I get an error message whenver I try to install an OXP I get (nil) '.................' requirements property list could not be parsed'

any ideas ? :(
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Can't install any OXP's

Post by Greyman »

Skii wrote:
Hi all - bit confused here - I get an error message whenver I try to install an OXP I get (nil) '.................' requirements property list could not be parsed'

any ideas ? :(
Hello Skii

Even though I wouldn't rule out the possibility someone here might be able to help you, I guess a bit more information might be helpful. Like what operating system you are using and which steps you did in order to get your OXP installed.

And by the way, it often helps to keep the shift key pressed while Oolite is starting after installing new OXPs.

EDIT: Maybe a fresh install could help you there (just guessing)

Greetings, Greyman
Get the Oolite Keymapper for Mac here!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I suspect you’re using Oolite 1.65. Most current versions of OXPs require a more recent test release. (There is a bug in 1.65 where it says “requirements property list could not be parsed” when it really meant “Foo.oxp is incompatible with this version of Oolite”.)

The latest test release (1.73.4) can be downloaded at http://www.oolite.org/download.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Ahruman wrote:
I suspect you’re using Oolite 1.65. Most current versions of OXPs require a more recent test release. (There is a bug in 1.65 where it says “requirements property list could not be parsed” when it really meant “Foo.oxp is incompatible with this version of Oolite”.)

The latest test release (1.73.4) can be downloaded at http://www.oolite.org/download.
Many people only download the stable releases, and stay away from the test or beta releases.

I think that we need to indicate on the wiki page for OXPs, which ones are compatible with the 1.65 stable release, and which ones are for the more recent test release.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Many people only download the stable releases, and stay away from the test or beta releases.
True, but the problem is that now 1.73.4 is pretty much considered the current release by the community, and furthermore it is now only taking bugfixes and not (in general) new features, so it's as stable as it's gonna get. You could say it's a beta of the next stable release. There are loads of bugs in 1.65 that have been long fixed in 1.7x.

So it could be worth marking the wiki up as you say, but I suppose I'm saying the list of OXPs that support 1.65 is going to get a lot shorter very soon, so is it worth it?

If someone asked me what to download, I'd say 1.73.4 every time. What's in a name and all that...
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

zevans wrote:
If someone asked me what to download, I'd say 1.73.4 every time. What's in a name and all that...
How many people are downloading without asking? A lot more than do ask.

The Oolite website pushes the 1.65 release.
Version 1.65, released in June 2006, is the latest full release of Oolite.
People will tend to download the 1.65 release, leaving the test release for others to test.

When people look for OXPs, we need to let them know up front, which ones are for 1.65 and which ones are for the later verison.

If we do not do this, we are opening ourselves up for unwanted criticism.

I am willing to do the work myself if need be. Even though the 1.65 version is getting out of date, we still list it as the "latest full release". While it has that label, it needs to be supported as such because that is the one the general public will be downloading.

To leave things where people download OXPs only to find they fail, is a recipe for disaster.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

I am willing to do the work myself if need be.
I'm happy to do the wiki work... are you saying you're happy to download OXPs and find out the hard way whether they work or not, if we don't already know for sure?
Even though the 1.65 version is getting out of date, we still list it as the "latest full release". While it has that label, it needs to be supported as such

Fair point. Just trying to protect the overworked developers really. :-)
To leave things where people download OXPs only to find they fail, is a recipe for disaster.
Now that I agree with. Have you seen the thread on overhauling the OXP section of the Wiki, which you just prompted me to go and find and bump...
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6625

And can I suggest upfront that we add a tag to OXP wiki pages where 1.65 is supported, so that the magic wiki category list works as well as any manual lists we may choose to make.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

zevans wrote:
I am willing to do the work myself if need be.
I'm happy to do the wiki work... are you saying you're happy to download OXPs and find out the hard way whether they work or not, if we don't already know for sure?
Err, I was meaning with the wiki updates. However, I've already downloaded all of the OXPs from the wiki, and given a way to update the wiki would be willing to find out the hard way.
zevans wrote:
Even though the 1.65 version is getting out of date, we still list it as the "latest full release". While it has that label, it needs to be supported as such

Fair point. Just trying to protect the overworked developers really. :-)
I would be happy to share some of the development weight. I come with heavy javascript experience and have waded in the midst of many programmers languages (php, vi, c#, asp, c).
zevans wrote:
Now that I agree with. Have you seen the thread on overhauling the OXP section of the Wiki, which you just prompted me to go and find and bump...
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6625
I shall investigate now.
zevans wrote:
And can I suggest upfront that we add a tag to OXP wiki pages where 1.65 is supported, so that the magic wiki category list works as well as any manual lists we may choose to make.
+1 up vote!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

pmw57 wrote:
Just wanted to clear this up a bit. The Oolite website actually pushes the latest test releases. The full phrase, part of which you quoted above reads:
Version 1.65, released in June 2006, is the latest full release of Oolite. However, the test releases are faster, prettier, more stable and use less memory, so ignoring the full release and using the test releases instead is recommended. Yes, we realise this sounds silly.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

another_commander wrote:
pmw57 wrote:
Just wanted to clear this up a bit. The Oolite website actually pushes the latest test releases. The full phrase, part of which you quoted above reads:
Version 1.65, released in June 2006, is the latest full release of Oolite. However, the test releases are faster, prettier, more stable and use less memory, so ignoring the full release and using the test releases instead is recommended. Yes, we realise this sounds silly.
An so we see that I too am a victim of reading only as far as I have too. Once I found what I was after, anything else was ignored. Is this common?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's probably another manifestation of the readme phenomenon that we were discussing the other day :roll:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Then there's the matter of all the Linux users out there who hear about Oolite, check, and lo and behold, their package manager software reports;

"Yup, we got Oolite right here.. good 'ol Official 1.65 stable, carefully massaged by your Distro suppliers to make sure it works right with the other software on your machine! No need to go out into the dangerous wilds of the 'net to get some suspect package.. stay here with us, where it's safe!"

The majority of the Linux world has no idea we've even moved on from 1.65, so far as I can tell...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Then there's the matter of all the Linux users out there who hear about Oolite, check, and lo and behold, their package manager software reports;

"Yup, we got Oolite right here.. good 'ol Official 1.65 stable, carefully massaged by your Distro suppliers to make sure it works right with the other software on your machine! No need to go out into the dangerous wilds of the 'net to get some suspect package.. stay here with us, where it's safe!"

The majority of the Linux world has no idea we've even moved on from 1.65, so far as I can tell...
This was where I was at - got Oolite from Synpatic Package manager (v1.65) - then found the forums, then discovered all this cool stuff going on in v1.69... :?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Skii
Average
Average

Post by Skii »

Thanks guys, however if I re-install Oolite with a newer release how do I save my progress as I really don't want to start all over again :?
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Skii wrote:
Thanks guys, however if I re-install Oolite with a newer release how do I save my progress as I really don't want to start all over again :?
The save game should transfer over with no issues, especially if you don't need to lose any OXPs with the upgrade.