Killing "innocent" clean traders...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Neverlast74
Above Average
Above Average

Killing "innocent" clean traders...

Post by Neverlast74 »

Hi there...

I found out I am able to kill innocent clean traders in open space - rob their cargo and:
- get rewarded with 1 kill.
- still being clean and not offender of fugitive.

... then I collect them in their space capsules and get 200credits insurance :-D

OK they all got narcotics loaded or something illegal so they deserved it - in some way.

isnt that a bit too realistic ?
------
old amiga verteran coming home.... sara
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You only get a criminal record if you play bad, with cops present. This is by design.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

in the original game the manual said your kills were recorded by gun camera and transmitted to galcop, who assigned a bounty, and therefore you couldn't kill innocents w/out them knowing. i personally think this is the way it should be.
Neverlast74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Neverlast74 »

I just was caught by the police and was offernder + had some fight with vipers -> fugitive... this makes sense - thanks.
------
old amiga verteran coming home.... sara
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Killer Wolf wrote:
in the original game the manual said your kills were recorded by gun camera and transmitted to galcop, who assigned a bounty, and therefore you couldn't kill innocents w/out them knowing. i personally think this is the way it should be.
No, the kills are not transmitted to galcop but to the elite association which assigns ranks. They do not care about killing innocents. That's also written that way in the oolite novels (IIRC those by Drew).

Screet
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

There's no such thing as 'killing innocents', there is only 'eliminating potential Offenders and Fugitives'...

Guess who's back.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome back, Captain.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

WOOT!!

Way cool! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Welcome back Captain!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Guess who's back.
Oh no! Riddles already!
Who?

WHO ???

Good to see you, sir! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
There's no such thing as 'killing innocents', there is only 'eliminating potential Offenders and Fugitives'...

Guess who's back.

Captain Hesperus
The Cat is back in town! The Cat is back in Town! 8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Captain H, good to see you back in town! There were rumours that you'd been eaten by your cargo ...
Killer Wolf wrote:
If the gun cameras reported naughty deeds to the police, pirates would just disconnect them – or put their lens caps on. There is a long-standing dispute between GalCop and the Elite Federation:
The Elite Federation has come under fire from human rights protesters in recent years due to their policy of not questioning what sort of kills are made. They will award kills to pirates and lawful pilots alike without issue. This has opened up many claims that they support piracy and terrorism. The EF answer these charges with the same defence every time: "...it is not our job to protect against lawlessness or to assign blame for actions beyond our control. Our job is to assign ratings. A pirate is still a pirate no matter what his Elite Rating – it is up to the police and the Navy to deal with their crimes."
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I hereby surrender the trumble store back to it's rightful shopkeeper.
(The bloody furballs don't sell well anyway. Go figure.)

Welcome back, Hesperus.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Killer Wolf wrote:
If the gun cameras reported naughty deeds to the police, pirates would just disconnect them – or put their lens caps on.
maybe they do.
or maybe they'd leave them on as a fear/reputation-builder.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

That's the problem with a region of space as big as the one GalCop has under it's legal jurisdiction. It's something like a high-tech Wild West, the law can only be in so many places at once, leaving it up to the individual pilots to defend themselves. How many times in the past have you got into a fight with another trader simply because while fending off pirates attacking him, you've accidently flashed his shields. Next thing you know as the last pirate either flees or is reduced to star dust, the damn trader turns of you. You fore back in self-defence, just as a frakking Viper appears on screen and suddenly you are 'Offender'-ed. :roll:

P.S. My legal representative tells me that I shouldn't answer any questions about piracy, banditry on the high space lanes or the discrepancies on my bills of lading...

Oh, nuts.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"... simply because while fending off pirates attacking him, you've accidently flashed his shields. Next thing you know as the last pirate either flees or is reduced to star dust, the damn trader turns of you. You fore back in self-defence..."

yeah yeah, if i had a credit for everytime you've used THAT one...