Debug version of Dizzy's Trunk Installer?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Debug version of Dizzy's Trunk Installer?

Post by Diziet Sma »

This is something I've been intending to ask for a while, but keep forgetting..

Currently I build the installers with the debug=no option, mostly to make the executable smaller.. however, I imagine it would be more useful for at least some testers if the debug symbols were not stripped out..

So.. does anybody want me to leave them in? Or have any opinions about it?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The debug symbols will only be useful if the testers are using gdb to actually set breakpoints in the executable and trace the code. Anyone who is in position to do that is most likely already able to build from source themselves, so in practice I am not so sure there will be any gains from doing that.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Good point.. that pretty much gets rid of any reason to do so, so unless somebody actually requests it, I'll leave it as is...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied