Fixing common OXP issues from the log

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Fixing common OXP issues from the log

Post by pmw57 »

Having downloaded most available OXPs last week, I looked at the log file for Oolite 1.73.3 and found vast amounts of noise from several of them.

Here are my fixes that have quietened them down to a remarkable degree.
  • Black Baron - renamed player.dockedStation to player.ship.dockedStation
  • Assassins - corrected "less than" to be "lessthan"
  • Trident Down - removed destination from clearMissionDescription
  • Realistic Shipyards
    • removed empty subentity data for velocity96-sub
    • added player role to to thargoid-player
    • realised there are more issues, so placed on hold for now
  • Lave - added "sendTargetCommsMessage: " to INCOMING_MISSILE message
  • Kirin - renamed Hold_&_Lower_T to Hold_&_Lower_T
  • PAGroove Stations - added model names to reference stations
  • Trident Down - added default model for yah-wpbuoy-type-a
Now, when Oolite 1.73.3 starts up, the log file has virtually no outstanding issues to deal with.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

What I do want some advice about is gui_screen_string and d100_number, which get reportedfor the Trident Down OXP.

These methods are not allowed and are being removed. I would like to know the reason for this.

Is it to force old scripts to be updated to a different language, or is it because more appropriate methods are available?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Really, pmw57, I wouldn't try to fix RS.

RS is going to be history soon (max end of the year), and will be replaced by OSE which is much bigger in scope, has had hundreds of things fixed and is specifically being developed to be compatible with Oolite 1.73.4 and a future 1.74.

So if you want to help, I'd really love to have observant players such as you to test the OSE WiP version (V0.69 currently) and help with debugging that - OSE has a future, RS not.

Cheers :wink:

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
Really, pmw57, I wouldn't try to fix RS.

RS is going to be history soon (max end of the year), and will be replaced by OSE which is much bigger in scope, has had hundreds of things fixed and is specifically being developed to be compatible with Oolite 1.73.4 and a future 1.74.
Yeah, I've seen this in some other threads too. RS has provided some nice things, so I'm really looking forward to OSE.
Lestradae wrote:
So if you want to help, I'd really love to have observant players such as you to test the OSE WiP version (V0.69 currently) and help with debugging that - OSE has a future, RS not.
I'll be happy to do so under one condition, that I can still carry on playing Oolite.

So, if 1.73.4 is in a ready-to-use state I'll go right ahead. Otherwise, if OSE also works with my current 1.73.3 then I'll go that way instead.

One of the benefits in cleaning up is in regards to signal/noise. By cleaning up much of the noise, it makes it vastly easier to spot the signals that we're looking for.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

pmw57: Feel free to upgrade to 1.73.4 right away. It has fixed several issues we had identified since 1.73.3 and is the latest recommended version.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

pmw57 wrote:
What I do want some advice about is gui_screen_string and d100_number, which get reportedfor the Trident Down OXP.

These methods are not allowed and are being removed. I would like to know the reason for this.
They should be allowed. And when you look closely, it only complains in two cases of its use, all other cases are accepted. I would think at an other reason. e.g used in a wrong context so the compiler does not recognise it.

I just tried myself but fail to see which line contain the problematic version.

EDIT; the last use of d100_number is wrong. It is used in the do part not in the condition part. So that whole line does not work. placing it a few lines lower inside the next condition list will fix the authors intentions.

Code: Select all

<array>
               <string>checkForShips: esw-assassin</string>
               <dict>
                  <key>conditions</key>
                  <array>
               	     <string>d256_number lessthan 10</string>
                     <string>shipsFound_number equal 0</string>
                  </array>
                  <key>do</key>
                  <array>
                     <string>addShips: esw-assassin 1</string>
                  </array>
               </dict>
            </array>
Same will be the case with the gui_screen_string error.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Eric Walch wrote:
pmw57 wrote:
EDIT; the last use of d100_number is wrong. It is used in the do part not in the condition part. So that whole line does not work. placing it a few lines lower inside the next condition list will fix the authors intentions.

<snip>

Same will be the case with the gui_screen_string error.
Excellent, thank you.

The gui_screen_string is from the do part in line 527. As the condition part already contains the same check, I have deleted line 527.

Now Oolite starts up with no logged errors, excluding RS of course.

Thanks Eric. I take it now that the authors of these mods should be contacted regarding these corrections.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

pmw57 wrote:

The gui_screen_string is from the do part in line 527. As the condition part already contains the same check, I have deleted line 527.....

Thanks Eric. I take it now that the authors of these mods should be contacted regarding these corrections.
I just looked and found it also. to late :P

I think this pre processing of legacy scripts will find more bugs in future. It was not the objective but still, it is a nice addition for detecting errors in scripts.