Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Gridrunner Revolution

Post by Governmentyard »

I'm whoring a bit here but I don't care:

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/frontpage.php

Just wonderful :)

Come a long way from the Vic 20 version (this and C64 versions included).
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

8)

I loved everything Jeff M ever did - Iridis Alpha on the C64 was my absolute favourite.

It's cool that he's still working away with his own unique style!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Have a crack at the demo then and tell us what you think...

Also it's Jeff and Giles now, he's augmented the Llamasoft stable wiht an Italian cooking/maths/code genius to handle the extra code grunt modern systems insist upon.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
8)

I loved everything Jeff M ever did - Iridis Alpha on the C64 was my absolute favourite.

It's cool that he's still working away with his own unique style!
Seconded!

Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time was my favourite.. intense didn't even begin to describe it.. (and it ran on an unexpanded 3.5Kb :shock: Vic20..)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Played the demo - mind blowing - such a classic Minter game!
Selezen wrote:
Ivan
Competent
Competent

Post by Ivan »

Maybe this'll spur Iain McLeod to finish Spheres of Chaos 2008 :roll: (www.spheresofchaos.com).
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Glad you like it, DaddyHoggy. Check out the Llamasoft website and click about for much Minter related sheepery a la the old Grunting Ox newsletters, plus Sheepintology - a best practice guide to maximising scores and finding new mechanics in the game - there's a lot more hand-holding in this than in predecessor Space Giraffe, as there needs to be, really. Even so there's plenty of stuff there for people who get stuck in and grock hardcore shooters to find out.

F1 toggles the HUD, useful if you want to see the Neon engine do its thing unfettered in Jukebox mode. It has come on a long way since the XBox 360 dash incarnation, the PC version, as configurable as Trip-A-Tron and colourspace back in the day, will be a pro-grade graphical tool when it becomes a sold product at some point in the indistinct future.

Beta-ing this has kept me from Oolite so with my Graphics card back after four long stupid months I'll be getting back into my MkIII at the weekend. It's been worth it though, based on customer feedback thus far, really well liked.

Plus I'm a bit psyched about the next classic Llamasoft IP to be updated, if it is what I think it will be. And no, no clues.

Lastly, check out all the ships (and the sheeps) - artefacts from Iridis Alpha, Sheep in Space, etc in there.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Governmentyard wrote:
Glad you like it, DaddyHoggy. Check out the Llamasoft website and click about for much Minter related sheepery a la the old Grunting Ox newsletters, plus Sheepintology - a best practice guide to maximising scores and finding new mechanics in the game - there's a lot more hand-holding in this than in predecessor Space Giraffe, as there needs to be, really. Even so there's plenty of stuff there for people who get stuck in and grock hardcore shooters to find out.

F1 toggles the HUD, useful if you want to see the Neon engine do its thing unfettered in Jukebox mode. It has come on a long way since the XBox 360 dash incarnation, the PC version, as configurable as Trip-A-Tron and colourspace back in the day, will be a pro-grade graphical tool when it becomes a sold product at some point in the indistinct future.

Beta-ing this has kept me from Oolite so with my Graphics card back after four long stupid months I'll be getting back into my MkIII at the weekend. It's been worth it though, based on customer feedback thus far, really well liked.

Plus I'm a bit psyched about the next classic Llamasoft IP to be updated, if it is what I think it will be. And no, no clues.

Lastly, check out all the ships (and the sheeps) - artefacts from Iridis Alpha, Sheep in Space, etc in there.
Very cool.

Tempted to dig out my C64, 1541 and my 5.25" of Iridis Alpha over the weekend - oh yes - I still own all 3 and last time I had them in the same place at the same time they all worked...
Selezen wrote:
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Ownership is not a prerequisite, mind. Jeff declared all his 8-bit and some 16 bit (I think, please check!) titles freely available some years ago. Everyone feel free to get stuck in.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I noticed that.. very cool and I wish more owners of ancient games would release them freely to the public. I downloaded the Meta-Llamas zip last night.. am I correct in assuming that now I need a Vic-20 emulator to run it on? It's one thing his site isn't very clear about..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Yeah, Vice should do you quite nicely on any PC for normal 8 bit commodore machines.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Governmentyard wrote:
Yeah, Vice should do you quite nicely on any PC for normal 8 bit commodore machines.
I used to use Frodo but it never seemed to support joysticks properly which was a shame - Vice is a new one for me - I will investigate...
Selezen wrote:
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Frodo is C64 emulator only. Vice emulates all 8 bit commodore machines including the Vic.

You can download mac trunk builds from http://twitter.com/macvice or regular releases from http://www.viceteam.org/.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

goran wrote:
Frodo is C64 emulator only. Vice emulates all 8 bit commodore machines including the Vic.

You can download mac trunk builds from http://twitter.com/macvice or regular releases from http://www.viceteam.org/.
Cool! I've still got some C= PET listings somewhere...
Selezen wrote:
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

If you enjoy Minter humour and oblique scientology references, it's worth following him on twitter: @llamasoft_ox.