Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Back to the suicide ships...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

_ds_ wrote:
stanley1100 wrote:
EDIT: Err...problem. Every time I run apt-get I am presented with this wonderful error message:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
Then I run that and are presented with this:
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0084' near line 1:
newline in field name `#padding'
?
That file's content is wrong. It should be safe to delete it, but you will at least need to move it out of the way.

Hmmm... apt-get autoclean or apt-get clean could work... maybe.
Cmdr. Saint, Golden Gladstone with 4 leaves Clovers of the Most Noble Order or The B.D.c.
stanley1100
Competent
Competent

Post by stanley1100 »

Yes, I have tried installing the latest driver for my graphics card but Nvidia seem to think I don't have the correct card. It is a Nvidia GeForce FX 5600XT. Also once it said it could not run "DLL".
Alot goes wrong with my computer. :roll:
Freddies little pets like trousers. Sometimes Freddie doesn't have enough though so he relies on the neighbours...

"YOUR PET IS EATING MY TROUSERS!"
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

What flavour and version of Linux do you run?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
stanley1100
Competent
Competent

Post by stanley1100 »

Yeah I've realised the problem and it's kinda stupid! The computer actually has no graphics card :oops: . Oh well, just have to get one, got any suggestions? (Preferably not the very high-end ones)
Freddies little pets like trousers. Sometimes Freddie doesn't have enough though so he relies on the neighbours...

CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

stanley1100 wrote:
Yeah I've realised the problem and it's kinda stupid! The computer actually has no graphics card :oops: . Oh well, just have to get one, got any suggestions? (Preferably not the very high-end ones)
You would have no video at all if there wasn't some form of hardware to handle the task.

Is the graphics card built onto the motherboard?

What make & model is your computer or motherboard?

Edited to add: http://www.newegg.com is a nice place to shop for video cards.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
stanley1100
Competent
Competent

Post by stanley1100 »

Yes, there is some sort of graphics built into the motherboard, but obviously not a very good one. I'll try to find out what make, just give me a sec...*smashes computer with a hammer* Thanks for the link, I will have a look once I've got this open *wrenches cover off with a crowbar*

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

So, for all Laptop users out there. If your vendor (Dell, Clevo, Fujitsu, whatever) has own drivers for the graphics card - don't use Nvidias (or ATIs) own drivers. Most vendors have changed drivers (unfortunately in most cases very restricted and old drivers) to match the needs of this specific machine, but they are preventing from burning your computer and are (hopefully) good enough to play Oolite! This is completely different from Desktop machines, so be warned!

I've updated (for testing) my own Laptops and I have to say it looks a bit better, but the performance is lower and the heat has raised - so I reverted to the vendors drivers. Your first adress for updates should be your vendors homepage, specially if you don't want to lose the warranty(guarantee).
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

stanley1100 wrote:
however there is one small problem. This:
Exactly that happened a few minutes ago when I clicked on the icon for MildAudio OXP, thus starting the game

(it had come up in the "Finder" window I was using to see if the OXP was hidden somewhere else as well as in the AddOns folder: it was. I had clicked on the one not in the AddOns folder).

I hadn't intended to actually start the game. It works ok now, though; don't know if this is any help?