Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Photorealistic Oolite?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Oolite has good graphics?

The graphics are good enough.
46%
The graphics could use some improvement.
54%

Total votes: 52

Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Photorealistic Oolite?

Post by Commander Learner »

Is there an OXP or anything than makes textures more complex ie:more real looking? Does Realistic Shipyards do this?

I take a good close look at some ships and feel disappointed with the average graphics this awesome game has.:cry: Come on, look at EA games!
Shooting polygons since 2001
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

There are OXPs which do this.The principle one is Sung's Textures, which can normally be found these days as part of RS.

Plus of course all of the new ship OXPs such as the fine works of Griff and SimonB (and many others), although those replace the whole ships rather than just their textures..
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Indeed, I recommend you first install practically everything SimonB has done (replacing the original ship set) and then add everything Griff has done (to get some added variety and eye-candy). They are in different styles, for sure, but do wonders to the overall feel of the game.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sung's textures OXP may also be found here, courtesy of Lestradae's hosting of it.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Are graphics ever "good enough"? :wink:

Edit: Let me qualify that - transparent textures for domes, windows etc and proper lighting effects (i.e. you can carry lights that illuminate other objects) - all well outside the current capabilities of the gfx engine and as Ahruman has explained many times in many levels of detail - will almost certainly never happen... :(
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander Learner: Have a look at the screenshots at the link below and you will immediately have the answer to your question:
https://developer.berlios.de/screenshots/?group_id=3577

And yes, there is always room for improvement in the graphics. But reading your post, I conclude you have not had a chance to see the full capabilities of the engine yet.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

The more 'realistic' graphics are the easier it is to -lose- immersion because of some minor issues. We're still a fair way away from generating realistic graphics even using banks of mainframes to pre-render (let alone real-time render) graphics for movies. Look at any movie which incorporates CG - if you know what you're looking for, you'll spot it almost instantly and even if you don't you'll most likely spot some minor issues.

The less realistic the graphics, the more your imagination is used to fill in the gaps and the less likely you are to lose immersion due to minor issues with those graphics - as long as it's all more or less consistent. Of course this point is 'within reason' - I don't propose we rewrite Oolite to use text graphics.. *G*

Having said that, on the whole I think I still prefer the old-school looks, but also appreciate the new work, which looks simply amazing.

My 2Cr
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
Have a look at the screenshots at the link below and you will immediately have the answer to your question:

And yes, there is always room for improvement in the graphics. But reading your post, I conclude you have not had a chance to see the full capabilities of the engine yet.
Can I presume this reply is aimed at the instigator of the thread (i.e. Cmdr Learner) and not me? :?

I think everything Simon B and Griff (and many others too but to name the main two) ship wise is simply stunning - but in the school of thought of "the grass is always greener" - transparent textures and user defined illuminations/lights is all that would stop me giving Oolite 10/10 (in the context of what it is).
Selezen wrote:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@ DH: That in a_c's post the sentence quoted by you is preceded by a "Commander Learner: " should give you the answer. :wink:
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

another_commander wrote:
Commander Learner: Have a look at the screenshots at the link below and you will immediately have the answer to your question:
:shock: :!: :!: WOW!! Nice........ Are all of those courtesy of SimonB and Griff? Are they pre-rendered or real-time screenshots?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander Learner wrote:
another_commander wrote:
:shock: :!: :!: WOW!! Nice........ Are all of those courtesy of SimonB and Griff? Are they pre-rendered or real-time screenshots?
Everything you see there are real time in-game screenshots. The first eight are featuring Griff's ships, while the rest are from older versions of the game.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
@ DH: That in a_c's post the sentence quoted by you is preceded by a "Commander Learner: " should give you the answer. :wink:
Ah, but I know that a_c went back and snuck that tag in, in response to my inquiry :wink: (Any potential misunderstanding has been clarified via PM...)
Selezen wrote:
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

it really depends on what you mean by realistic

to be honest, i cant imagine any spacecraft looking remotely like they do in oolite- there is simply no need to streamline them, thuster units require gravity wells to work, there is nothing in space that could colour a laser, the list goes on

so i take it you dont mean realistic, then if you dont, what do you mean?
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Seriously, those screenshots were beyond my imagination, that's good enough....even better than EA already!

Say ,how do you get them again :?: :P
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Here's the easy step-by-step explanation. Be my guest:
  1. Download the respective OXPs.
  2. Install them. :P
  3. Fire up your game.
  4. Turn your main screen to the most beautiful thing you see.
  5. Press 'P' to pause the game.
  6. Press 'O' to disable your HUD display.
  7. Press '*' to take a screenshot.
  8. Press 'N' to re-enable your HUD display.
  9. Open the screenshot conveniently named 'Oolite-001.png' (or any other number, I leave that to your imagination) and residing in your main Oolite folder in your favorite viewer.
  10. Enjoy. :wink:
Last edited by Commander McLane on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.