Unofficial design competition: Spitfire

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Unofficial design competition: Spitfire

Post by Wolfwood »

Two important events in the British history: On the 20th of September 2009, Elite celebrated its 25th birthday. In summer 2010, it will be 70 years since the Battle of Britain.

I think it is the perfect time to honour the birthland of Elite by announcing a(n unofficial) design competition to bring the most legendary of fighters (Spitfire) into the future age (Oolite).

Since there are several months between the birthdays of Elite and the 'anniversary' of the Battle of Britain, there's a lot of time to come up with designs for this (unofficial) competition, and the work will certainly keep the competitors warm during the upcoming winter months.

After this pretty convoluted intro, is there anyone willing to take the bait? :wink:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

if it goes ahead we'll need a compo (or whatever) to also have a "battle of britain" OXP : Perhaps a coriolis instead of Britain, and a Thargoid (or whoever) invasion force instead of the luftwaffe. a linked series of missions perhaps to drive out the invaders and win the Battle...?
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

perhaps whistle up a sqaudron of lancasters! or a bouncing bomb

or add powdered egg to the goods list?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

phonebook wrote:
perhaps whistle up a sqaudron of lancasters! or a bouncing bomb

or add powdered egg to the goods list?
Surely a q-bouncing q-bomb? :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

or a mission with unfathomable rules like escape from colditz?
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

To be fair, the Hawker Hurricane was the real workhorse of the battle of Britain. The Spitfire, being faster, prettier and altogether more glamorous, gets all the attention, but it was by no means superior to the Hurricane in every respect.

The Hurricane was more manuverable than the spitfire, especially at lower atltitudes and was a more rugged aircraft also capable of carrying heavier weapons.

With these two aircraft being quite distinct, the Spitfire fast with smooth lines and greater acceleration. The Hurricane is slower, but handles better and is a tougher nut to crack.

I don't think it is fair to honour one without the other.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Absolutely correct, Sendraks.

The Hurricane clocked-up many more kills than the Spitfire, and was certainly more durable, as well as being easier and quicker to repair. Steel tube and wooden construction meant that cannon shells tended to pass right on through instead of exploding.

As you say, it was slower than both the Spitfire and the Me 109, but could out-turn them both. It was also very good as a night fighter.

Regards
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Funny enough:
I have a spitfire in the works... shadow spitfire was the inspiration

but i'd rather name it something else like

Aodh
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Of course you are right about Hurricane also deserving some recognition. _If_ there are modellers willing to tackle one of the famous planes, they might just as well try their hand at the other one as well... ;)