Happy 25th Anniversary - Elite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Sendraks wrote:
I'm not sure the Frontier/FFE approach of accurately modelled solar systems worked well, it was too much unusued/dead content per system.
Oh I dunno, least you could go and mine the other planets etc....! Now where did I leave my MB4's.....? 8)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Hmm. I guess I never realized how much elite was ahead of it's time. As well as one of the best games of all time.

Don't panic: FSOneblin.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Ivan
Competent
Competent

Post by Ivan »

Just to be clear, I was pondering on a hypothetical multiplayer Elite (E4 or another), not Oolite - I like Oolite just the way it is :D
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

I think one of the most amazing aspects of Elite is how little processing power it relied on to create such an involving, ground-breaking and wonderful game. 2MHz processors, <32KB RAM, and the horrors of cassette loaded games (what a revelation my first 80KB floppy disk drive was!)

When you compare it with the computing power we throw at games these days, and then read that a modern Email takes up more space than the entire game had to run in, it has been an extraordinary 25 years of development.

It's a terrible shame that B & B fell out, but I can't help put applaud the huge contribution they made to gaming in one stroke.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

<monty_python_yorkshire_man>2MHz! Luxury! The 6510 in my C64 ran at 985KHz (PAL)!</monty_python_yorkshire_man>

I notice Ahruman has just reduced the memory requirement of ONE Flasher in Oolite from more memory available in a BBC B to a tiny fraction of it (but still HUGE compared to what they squeezed into Elite gen home computers)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here