Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Another Newbie with Questions

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cabcurtains
Poor
Poor

Another Newbie with Questions

Post by Cabcurtains »

Hi All,

I am another ex Elite, FE2 etc player who is really happy to have discovered this awesome program, well done and thanks to all involved. :wink:

Now my daft questions;

1. A Decent Milk Run - Please advise
2. Can you stop Hyperspeed Mass Locked?

I am plodding around in my old Cobra Mk1 wondering how to speed things up a bit!

I have used the search option but the number of topics returned is vast.

Thanks

CC
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Cabcurtains, welcome to the forum! If you're looking for decent trade routes, a good place to start would be to download the spiffy map of Galaxy 1 and hunt for poor (but stable) Agriculturals conveniently near to rich (but equally stable) Industrials. Reinen–Xexedi doesn't look too bad.

There's no way around the mass lock problem, except to go off the spacelane. Line up on the station when you witch in, tilt up about 80° and torus on out of the main lane for 30 seconds or so. Then gradually bring the nose back on line to the station and head on in. You shouldn't meet anybody on the way.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Hi and welcome to the game. Answers to your questions below:
1. Isinor - Ensoreus in G1 is probably the Jameson's preferred route.
2. You cannot stop mass lock, but you can either travel away from the trade lane (the imaginary line connecting the hyperspace entry point with the planet), then re-aim towards the planet and travel undisturbed, or you can pause the game (press "p") then use the right arrow key to increase time acceleration factor and fly quickly. Whenever you want, you can pause again and using the left arrow key reduce time acceleration to normal speed. Mind you, the second method can land you in trouble if you set time acceleration too high and works only for versions of the game higher than 1.73..
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Greetings, salutations and welcome (a small temporary one, until DH gets here anyway).

In answer to your questions:

1) Depends where you are at the moment. Look around for close planets that are diametric opposites, for example rich agricultural and poor industrial, then go trade between 'em. Alternatively depending on what OXPs you have installed, there can be some intra-system opportunities between different locations around the system.

2) Umm, don't fly near things :) As a simple rule, fly outside the route 1 main lane (when you arrive at the system, orient yourself towards the planet, then turn 90 degrees, fly that way for a while to get out of the lane, then re-aim at the planet and fly there in quiet solitude). And for other times when there are things around, save your credits up and buy some fuel injectors.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

... or Tianve–Tianrebi, way up in the Pulsar Worlds.
Cabcurtains
Poor
Poor

Post by Cabcurtains »

Ok, i will get out of the lanes!

Is it possible to remove all the text from the screen as combat is tricky when you cant see!

CC
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Currently no*. This has been commented on before. You just have to wait a few seconds and it should go on its own.

* actually there is a way, but it's drastic and will turn off your HUD and a lot of other useful things like your gunsights too, so probably not what you're looking for.
Cabcurtains
Poor
Poor

Post by Cabcurtains »

Thanks for the replies folks :D
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

You can also make the hud more translucent (it's 75% solid atm, but you can make it 50% - or 25% - solid, or any other % you think is best).
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Just out of curiosity (and maybe slightly off topic):

Can I change this by altering the overall_alpha value in the hud.plist or is there another (more convenient) way I don't know about?

Having looked inside those plist files for the first time I'm amazed to see how much interesting stuff can be found there. Maybe I actually might be inspired to learn OXPing after all ...
Get the Oolite Keymapper for Mac here!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

There isn't a hud alpha setting in any menu. Changing overall_alpha then restarting Oolite while pressing shift (to make sure Oolite notices the change) is the quickest way to do it...

Greyman, be careful, that's how I got sucked in myself! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

another_commander wrote:
Hi and welcome to the game. Answers to your questions below:
1. Isinor - Ensoreus in G1 is probably the Jameson's preferred route.
2. You cannot stop mass lock, but you can either travel away from the trade lane (the imaginary line connecting the hyperspace entry point with the planet), then re-aim towards the planet and travel undisturbed, or you can pause the game (press "p") then use the right arrow key to increase time acceleration factor and fly quickly. Whenever you want, you can pause again and using the left arrow key reduce time acceleration to normal speed. Mind you, the second method can land you in trouble if you set time acceleration too high and works only for versions of the game higher than 1.73..
sorry for digging up a dead thread, but I just wanted to mention how useful this post was for me, thnx :)
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11