Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

I finally did it...

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:D

I managed to get a video of Oolite into one of my Lectures!

Quite easy in the end (should have thought of it before). US Army used modified Battlezone (c. 1980) to train Bradley drivers. Battlezone was wireframe and had no hidden surface removal. Mid-80s on Home computers of the time along comes Elite - still wireframe but this time with hidden surface removal now to Oolite with procedural textured planets, surface textures, shading, lighting, etc etc - run a video of each to show the progression!

8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Nice job. 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

IIRC the hidden surface removal used a particular cunning algorithm with some limitations. Ever noticed the lack of convex surfaces on the original ships?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

"I'll get back to the lecture in a minute guys, can't you see I'm getting my ass shot off by pirates?"
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

zevans wrote:
IIRC the hidden surface removal used a particular cunning algorithm with some limitations. Ever noticed the lack of convex surfaces on the original ships?
It's more basic than that even - ever notice how you can see other objects which are further away through a closer object?

Basically all they did was not draw the lines making up the boundaries of the surfaces which were facing away from the camera. Still, pretty good for the hardware at the time.

The way you do it is you encode the vertices of each surface in a particular direction - say clockwise (this has to be consistent across every model). Then when you look at the surface from the 'camera', if the vertices are in the wrong direction (anti-clockwise in our example), you simply don't render it as it's facing the other way. Which works fine for convex models such as all the original Elite ships.

These days it gets a lot more complicated with normal calculations and all the rest to determine what gets displayed and how it gets coloured. Luckily the hardware and high-level libraries such as GL already do most of the grunt work for us.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

All true (and as a Lecturer in Defence Simulation and Modelling you're preaching to the converted) - but the point was to come up with a bonafide reason to put an Oolite video in a Lecture and present it to a room full of army majors.

MissionSuccess = TRUE

:wink:
Selezen wrote:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

So, what did the majors think of Oolite?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

The Army need more lasers
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
"I remember this - but I don't remember it looking like that!" and later (one or two clandestine visitations post-lecture) "erm, that video you showed, you say its free to download..."
Selezen wrote:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Excellent DH, excellent.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
another_commander wrote:
"I remember this - but I don't remember it looking like that!" and later (one or two clandestine visitations post-lecture) "erm, that video you showed, you say its free to download..."
MissionSuccess = MAJOR (pun intended) :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

You're missing a pimp opp there DH, you need to have a ship/station designed w/ strategic workplace logos, then when people ask that question you can "just happen" to have pre-burnt CDs available for them. if they get hooked they'll be seeing your creations/logos all the time!
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Killer Wolf wrote:
You're missing a pimp opp there DH, you need to have a ship/station designed w/ strategic workplace logos, then when people ask that question you can "just happen" to have pre-burnt CDs available for them. if they get hooked they'll be seeing your creations/logos all the time!
+1 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Best I can do is draw pictures of oolite in my math notebook (With the radar, shield and energy bars and everything)
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"