Trunk? Myth or Fact?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Trunk? Myth or Fact?

Post by Alex »

Hi Commanders,
I have just installed version 1.73.3 was quite easy to do once I transferred 1.72.2 to a CD and totally removed it from HD.
It runs great, faster and cleaner than 72.
Though in other parts of forum I keep coming across something called Trunk for 73.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me in simple terms what it is? Do I need it? and if so, How to use it?

As said 73.3 seems to be running great on my tdm (this damn machine) which is; Windows XP, Geforce 6200 512Meg DDR2 graphics card, AMD1.2GHz cpu 1Gig Ram.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As 1.73.3 is now a feature locked down version (with only bugs being fixed) - progress towards 1.74 continues - and thus the trunk is the version of the code that the Dev' team is tinkering with on a daily basis - dangerous to use as a "playing" version because features will come and go, be changed or have mysterious and wonderful new implementations that could break any or all oxps...

Does this help?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hi DaddyHoggy,
Yes it really does. Thanks for the easy to understand explination.
Simply put I don't need it, not being any good with code.
I always keep back up on CD's in case I break anything. Got cought out like that once and lost years of work. Once was enough.
Thanks again.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Like most projects, Oolite exists in a version control system. It’s possible for versions to be split off the main one; for instance, there’s a 1.73-maintenance version, which is where bug fix releases like 1.73.2 and 1.73.3 come from. It is possible to create a derived version from any version in the system, so they form a tree-like hierarchy. The side versions are called “branches”, and the main version is called “trunk”. The trunk currently has the version number 1.74, but it isn’t yet what will be released as 1.74.

It’s important to note that “version” above isn’t the same as a release version. There are hundreds of versions (or revisions) between, say, 1.72 and 1.73, sometimes dozens per day. For instance, so far today three revisions have been added, r2512 to 2514. (That’s 2514 distinct revisions since April 19 2005; r1 corresponded to something around r900 in the previous Mac-only Oolite repository. For any code archaeologists out there, Oolite-linux r186 corresponded to Oolite-mac r1091, or 1.60, back before the repositories were merged into “GUSTO”, the Grand Unified Source Tree for Oolite.)