Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Pigeon 'faster than broadband'

Post by Cody »

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

25 Megabeek, flap-rate, overcomes any firewall, order one and get a free 4 GB stick and a good luck blessing on your car.

Ping is a bugger, though.
Last edited by Chaky on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Chaky wrote:
Gee, thanks Chaky.. now there's coffee sprayed all over my monitor.. :lol: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

Coffee for everybody!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

The stories about the corruption behind Hellkom are legion - when I was out there some days I'd get less than 40kb/s on a "broadband" ADSL connection.

I know one South Afican guy who had his broadband connection pulled by Hellkom because the previous owner of the building hadn't paid his Internet Bill - Hellkom would turn it back on until he paid the equivalent of £1000 and as Hellkom is the sole provider of Internet in SA you can't go anywhere else (although the 3G mobile broadband network has been unbundled)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The story reminded me of an old saying my old sys-hack at uni used to have (way back when, circa early 90's) about people doing something similar with "this new fangled internet thing" and floppy discs. The punchline quote was "never underestimate the data transfer rate of a clapped-out station wagon with a trunk full of floppy discs..." or something similar.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
The stories about the corruption behind Hellkom are legion - when I was out there some days I'd get less than 40kb/s on a "broadband" ADSL connection.

I know one South Afican guy who had his broadband connection pulled by Hellkom because the previous owner of the building hadn't paid his Internet Bill - Hellkom would turn it back on until he paid the equivalent of £1000 and as Hellkom is the sole provider of Internet in SA you can't go anywhere else (although the 3G mobile broadband network has been unbundled)
They'll have to improve their service or drop their prices, now that they have fierce competition from the avian courier front. Meanwhile, PNY and Sandisk, and a number of birdseed suppliers do a booming business. :lol:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a lorry full of tapes." Which I still trot out on a regular basis when it comes to DC moves and recovery planning, because if there's one thing that happens a lot in Big Technology, it's that people try and make things too complicated and forget it's all about the data, not the centre.

I've bookmarked it under "examples!"
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Thargoid wrote:
The story reminded me of an old saying my old sys-hack at uni used to have (way back when, circa early 90's)

The phrase was doing the rounds on Usenet at the time by the way... I've noticed lots of ex-Uni-systems people have a whole vocabulary of Internet history, which I suppose is because Universities were heavy Usenet/Gopher/Mosaic users where most businesses weren't, in the early to mid 90s.

I mix and match because I worked at a Uni until 1998 and then I was in London for the dotcom era, but come to think of it most of the most valuable lessons on this kind of thing are all from the first job, not the second one...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yup, sounds about right. I can remember using all three (UseNet/Gopher/Mosaic).
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Yeah but... what's the latency on a pigeon, eh?

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

drew wrote:
Yeah but... what's the latency on a pigeon, eh?

Cheers,

Drew.
Chaky beat you to it, I think..
Chaky wrote:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Oh blast.. and it were a good 'un, too! :)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter